• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Generally new to coin collecting

10 posts in this topic

So I have become madly addicted to collecting Carson City Morgans and to modern ASE proofs.

So I think I have done well in my first full year of collecting but now I have a new problem..... Those darn registry points, with my competitive nature I want to be ranked higher and higher. I have let it get to the point where it influences my purchases. Like I was wondering which coin to bid on in a recent auction and my final decision was based on which would give me more points!! I have been researching and researching but I don't understand how the points are assigned. How can a PF70 1995 ASE be worth more points than 1882 CC MS66 which is way more rare and expensive to buy. Can somebody help me out my CC set is suffering because I can get more points from my ASE's!!!!

P.S. I know it sounds silly I love both coin types but the points make no sense when comparing the two.

See more journals by Ugakoivet

I know where u are coming from... here's what I humbly suggest:

1. Collect the CC Morgans for the coins, and ignore the points. This satisfies the coin collector in you.

2. Collect the ASEs for points. This satisfies the point whore in you.

3. Know that, unless you are independently wealthy, you will never climb to the top of the overall registry ahead of those with more time and money to invest than you have.

I do not worry about points. Points are ONLY a fun extra!

Just buy coins you like & have FUN!

I do Not agree with NGC policies!

(As the foreign PCGS abandonment!)

Irritating yes, but means nothing!

Have Fun!

Thanks!

Buy what you love. If you concentrate on the points you miss out on the beauty which is the journey you take to complete your sets.

Just my humble opinion, but I would rather have a high graded morgan than a high graded ASE any day of the week regardless of the points. They aren't making anymore Morgans! Well, the Chinese have made quite a few lately, but...

Points are a good way to end up with the collectible coins in a series. The higher the points in a series usually the harder to find. Some times the points are a little off though and as you look for the coins for the sets you will get better at figuring which ones are rarer. By no means compare points from one series to the points in another series.

Collecting for points sounds like a sport instead of a hobby ??? Building a wonderful high points set you enjoy will give more pleasure and seem worth the expense. :)

Welcome to the message boards. Trying to figure out how points are assigned will end up in frustration. The new mass produced Presidential dollars are worth almost 1000 points in PF70, but my 100+ year old lower mintage Morgans are worth only around 100. If you're going to collect for points, compare points within the series; MS65 as opposed to MS64.

Most of all though, enjoy the hunt.

Marcus

....Points whore... Funniest thing I've read all day. lol

Thanks everyone, I am excited about the process. I LOVE history, that is why the CC's are by far and away my favoite. We should start Point Whore Annonymous. I really need to start the 12 steps right now. I have mastered Point 1.... I do have a problem!!

I look forward to chatting with everyone in the future.

Lyn

Lyn, save yourself the effort.

Step 2 is "Not caring that you have the problem".

Step 3 is "Ignoring you have the problem".

Step 4 is "The couch really isn't so bad".

Step 5 is "Go to the NGC chatboards where the rest of us just woke up from our respective couches". lol

We also look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Marcus