• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bombshell

10 posts in this topic

Key Coins

I was cruising around Ebay today looking for coins for my Commemorative Half set and I noticed that I have not seen the 1982 Washington coin in MS69... ever. Unfortunately, I can not see the population reports without a paid NGC membership, but by looking at all the sets, I found the writing on the wall.

I looked at the #1 set and that person only has a MS69. I take that to mean MS70 either does not exist or is very, very scarce. The #34 set "only" has a MS68. That means that if the same holds true for the PCGS registry, then there are only around 75 MS69s or so in existence.... lol

So I'll go ahead and add a MS68 to my collection and chalk this one up as a coin I may never see on the market. But, as President Kennedy said about us going to the moon, we choose this hobby for the challenge, not because it is easy. (Rough translation. lol)

Happy collecting, even for those coins we may rarely see.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Wow.... So 70 doesn't exist. I figured that. However, with 72 MS69s and only the top 33 NGC sets having them, that actually offers some hope. I'll just have to decide whether to get a 68 as a place holder until a 69 comes on the market or keep the slot empty until a 69 comes on the market.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Marcus,

It pays to upgrade your membership to a low cost one just to see and understand the population and values of the coins in the sets you are spending your hard earned money on. Hope you get a chance to upgrade to a 69 in the future.

You know, it's funny. Those tough coins can be the bane of our existance......at least until we find them and can afford them. They they're the stuff dreams are made of. I just had a couple of very fortunate finds recently myself, an Ottoman Empire 1336/2 5 Kurush ( Mintage 2,000 and is one of the three final silver coins ever issued by the Ottoman Empire) and a 1941-A German Military Occupation 10 reichspfennig ( large mintage, but very few issued and next to no survivorship). Persistance and focus pay off......if you keep your eye on your goal, you will achieve it! Good luck on your MS 69!

Mohawk, Congratulations on your find. A 6 over 2 is fascinating, but I guess in the 1300s, they didn't have the quantity of dies we have today. And the 1941 with the huge mintage but low release amount is also interesting. I'm sure there is a good story behind it.

JAA, I'm surprised that PCGS has so many more graded than NGC does. Maybe, depending on the price, I'll buy a couple from PCGS and attempt to have them crossed over to NGC. Nothing against PCGS holders, but I just prefer NGCs.

Jack, I would love to be the first to find a 70. I think the bragging rights would be worth more than any money it would sell for.

Rick, I had a paid membership before, but let it lapse. I think it may be time to renew. You're right. The research ability it gives you is definitely worth the price.

Marcus

I’m not sure what your budget is for this particular coin, however after a quick search I found one foe what seems like a decent price (in comparison). I hope this helps, they are all PCGS I couldn’t find any NGC examples.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-D-George-Washington-Half-Dollar-PCGS-MS-69-SILVER-/310585430120?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4850559068

I appreciate the heads up. I checked on Ebay also last night and found 5 or 6 of them, also, all graded by PCGS. As much as I hate to do it, I may have to fill that spot temporarily, with a PCGS example. Nothing against PCGS, but I prefer the way the NGC holders look.

Marcus