• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the Boards, Anyone know alot about Large Cents?

10 posts in this topic

I have an 1802 Large cent with and x accross it like a canceled die. The X is raised so it had to be on the die and it's seams to not to be a big die crack.

I am working on a scan to show it.

Can anyone help me?

Smitty

I don't know a lot about the large cents, but it could be a restrike using a canceled die???

Die cracks could be the answer as well, but I don't have a Sheldon book to look up the diferent varieties. Hopefully someone will be along to provide you with the4 info you need.

If you can post a scan or image it would be helpful though.....

I've never heard of an 1802 large cent with an "X" like that. Take another look at it. The "X" might appear to raised because when a coin is deeply scratch, the displaced metal forms two ridges. I'll bet that if you look in the middle of the ridge that you will find a scratch that goes into the surface of the coin.

I am going to go out on a limb here and state for the record...it's some sort of restrike using a cancelled die. Now I am not and expert on Large cents so in no way is my opinion something you should take as gospel.

Something just doesn't look quite right about the coin, but I hope I am wrong and someone else can give another plausable explanation.

I would say that the line that runs from the rim at the left of the date to the right field is a die break. The second line that runs from the hair on Ms. Liberty's shoulder, which forms the other part of the "X" from left to right is a scratch.