• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I grade all of these? by CaptBrian1

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Should I or shouldn't I? Only my grader knows for sure.

I think I have discovered my real reason for messing with coins and paper money. It is the chase, the hunt, the quest for the holy grail as it were. Yes, I buy Ag and Au due to the investment fact I feel metals will rise in price enough to cover buying stocks and waiting for good news. Economically, I feel over the longer haul of 2 - 4 years, my Bullion coins will surpass the best of the stocks and indices.

BUT...

It is the fun, enjoyment, and satisfaction of discovering a gem in any mileau. Shows, garages, drawers, etc., can offer gleeful moments beyond description.

BUT...

I also, in my retirement, find myself appreciating the time spent at the bench by the artist of these currencies. Also, to my detriment, have found an eye towards artwork, and if I don't stop looking I will find my retired hours with no rest.

Last week, I got a warning from the police to stop impersonating a retired person.

Well, to get to the point, I purchased, in a greedy moment a bag of silver along with a bunch of Morgans and Peace dollars from my jeweler friend, who takes in metals as payment, but calls me to unload the stash on as he does not want to fool with anything but money.

So, I went to get the Morgans, and he said, (nicely) and you have to take the other coins too. Of course I said okay. He had 89 Quarters, (all silver of course, 1964 or earlier, five rolls of dimes, (haven't even opened the rolls yet) and a bunch of halfs, some walking libs, some Ken's and some Frank's.

Now, I am going to a coin show in March and I fig'd maybe I sell these and some other silver items, and perhaps locate a great graded coin for my collection.

Going thru the coins, I find many which seem very [what I call, Bright White] and catching my attention, I grabbed the loop, grading book, and magnifying glass. Well, to my suprise, many of these coins are in pristine condition, some with beautiful toning (original toning, not tarnish)and as I prepped these for the coin show, the more I looked at these individually, attempting to grade them, some look pretty good. I am afraid to say in the MS 65 or higher. Is it possible that these coins should be graded? I don't need to lose the silver value I have by spending money on grading and shipping. These coins are not for my collection, (says I) but what if they ARE higher grades. Any thoughts here?

I can take pictures and send to anyone, if you feel your grading capabilities are more than the average person. Let me know your feelings here folks.

Capt. Brian

13090.JPG

See more journals by CaptBrian1

George looks a little bit under the weather with that Obv. field blemish. Other then that, the Obverse looks good.

IMHO, I would let buyers at the upcoming show enjoy the thrill of looking through your stack of raw coins. With that said, I would humbly suggest you keep the cream of the crop (value and in appearance) for yourself for future investment.

I would be interested in picking up a couple of the rolls of dimes that you mentioned. I like finding unopenned rolls of coins and holding on to them for a few years before I open them.

Best wishes to you while you are on your adventures.

Semper Fi !

Jack

I saw that, it appears on one picture and not on another. Also I just picked one [off th top], and depending on how you turn the coin, the 'blemish' comes and goes like a sunspot. I have at least three which, there is no way I can find any blemish at all giving them a second look. (the five I pulled out as best of group).

Well, I am going to give NGC a call, ands see if they have their trading pants on. Such as, can I stop them from grading anything below MS 66, as lower than that, would be for a collection ignoring the investment. These coins I do not feel are going to wind up in my collection but someone who likes Washingtons more than I.

I have to agree with Jack on that one coin.. also the 5 coins you cherry picked for grading should be in saflips 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 is what NGC prefers. the holders you have now will cause poly damage over time rendering the coin useless without costly conservasion. this is just my humble thoughts.

other than the blemishes on the obv that is a very nice coin. happy collecting and God Bless

A 1964 D Washington Quarter books for $17.50 in MS65 grade. I can't really say offhand by the pix if this would go 65 or not, but unless I was fairly confident the coin would grade MS66 or higher I probably would sell it raw. Not worth the grading fee at the present.

Great find though! Good luck with them!

Thanx all, it appears we are all in agreement, no treasure here, but some fine examples of the silver quarters. I will do as you suggest, let the coins be seen at shows for sale, and keep 3 to 5 of the best. I want to offer some of the 'best' at the show, Why not share the fun?

Capt. Brian

Even if you got a grade of MS66 it would have 826 brothers from NGC alone. Not very rare. eBay prices (looking under completed listings) surprisingly range from $16.50 to $110.00, although the more successful auctions had great toning.

The completed listings section is one of my eBay secret weapons. You should check it out if you frequent the site.

Good luck!