• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Addition to the Family posted by Mr. Bo Jingles

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Big Sister is Coming Home!

First, thank you for the emails, looks and prods from my last post on something special coming my way.

I am a bit of an anomoly when it comes to collectors. I am not a rich man. Quite the opposite. I started my Morgan Carson City GSA Holder set later in life than I should have because now instead of just cracking open the checkbook I have to move things here and there and it isn't always easy as many of my fellow collectors will agree, but sometimes when things present themselves you have to make a move.....so I did!

I have been given the good fortune to be able to add this beautiful 1879 to my set and with its addition I finally feel like I am a part of the elite group of GSA collectors. I have no delusions of ever cracking the top 10 in this category, but just to be in the same "general location" of some of the most stellar sets in the world makes it tough to get the smile off my face.

What a journey this is! I love Morgans and to me there is no better way to collect them than in the GSA holders. What provenance! What history!

Two more coins remain out there somewhere waiting to be a part of this set. Eventually they will all meet and my happy family will be complete.

Although they are mine for now, I am but the lucky steward of this coin as it makes a stop on it's journey. Someday people will read a journal from an excited collector adding this coin to their collection. That's how this goes and for now it is my responsibility to keep this part of history safe and enjoy it every day along the way.

Happy President's Day and Happy Collecting!

13087.jpg

See more journals by Mr. Bo Jingles

I am a HUGE fan of GSA Morgans and your 1879 is the stuff dreams are made. I am currently WAY down on the GSA pecking order at 102 with six GSA's of my own. Congratulations on your find.

Gary

Great coin and addition to your collection, which by the way is very well documented and conveys your love of this set ! Your posting was quite the enjoyable read. I shared it with my "better half" at breakfast this holiday morning, while expaining the historical significance of the GSA releases. I don't think there is another US coin so historically "tied at the hip" to a mint than Morgans and Carson City. Continued success and keep us posted on progress. RichH

Leads me to stop my willy-nilly collecting of just general coins with no focus on sets as so many do. I kind of stumbled into collecting, and have not found a draw yet to have me focus on one thing. I do,however like the platinum eagles, but they are more modern and pretty easy to get. Trouble is, the banks have no money, so bank robbing is out, so I have to find some other way to fund my collection.

Capt., Brian

Although the coin is obviously beautiful, I enjoy reading about your passion for your set. I can visualize the "Kid in the candy store" smile plastered across your face as you typed this story. I too love Morgans. I'm only a small way in, but looking up at the better sets, such as yours, keeps me focused on climbing.

CaptBrian, I think we all stumbled face first into collecting. I started off with raw coins all over the spectrum. Only when I stumbled face first across this site, did I decide to narrow my focus. However, whatever you collect, there is someone to share your joy of it with and that, to me, is the important thing. Collect what you love.

Marcus

P.S. Everytime I read one of your posts, Mr. Bo Jingles, I think of the song "Mr. Bo Jangles". lol