• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this rarity suitable for Conservation

2 posts in this topic

Before any one jumps in and says this is a common old re-strike, have a very [/b]good look at the coin it should become very evident this is not the run of the mill early restrike. The coin fits Dr Franz Leypold's 1976 Hypothetical description of what a true 1780 Maria Theresa Thaler looks like. Walter Hafner acknowledged to me that he was the second highest bidder ( I being the highest at €1520.00) for this coin when it came to the market in may last year. Walter Hafner also stated this variety has never been seen before. The European market has already accepted this as a true 1780 strike ( after the sale of this coin 2 further examples came to light).

The coin seems is very darkly toned( I don't want to loose that toning) and it has either PVC residue or corrosion on it. I would like it conserved is this a worthwhile candidate?

Note: I live in Vienna Austria. I have compared the coin to 1773-1778 origional MTT Held in the Vienna Coin Cabinet,this coin more closely matches those coins and it is significantly different to known 1781-1788 restrikes.

I have tried to up load two photos but am not sure if I have done this correctly

134504.jpg.9b3584a13aac887f795d382a7eb4cac4.jpg

134505.jpg.7468cd46bb5531742efa6e60816f2808.jpg

hi nice find .. i think the only way you can keep some of the toning would be a little acetone bath but on a coin of that value NCS is the best place for it 2c