• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion, Please

12 posts in this topic

1950 P Lincoln Cent

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221187244199?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on this particular coin. It is one of 3 that remain in my 1934 - 1958 Lincoln Wheat Set. I haven't seen one of these come up for sale in months. However, it is currently sitting at $75 with 3 days to go and NGC's price guide values it at $20.....

The pros are that it has nice eye appeal with the red toning and it may be awhile before I find it in this grade again. (MS 65)

Would anyone out there suggest pulling the trigger on it, or waiting awhile? I appreciate the opinions.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus,

In my opinion ( which is usually more than needed)--- If you are building a toned Lincoln set then get the coin for the color. I would much rather have a MS66rd for that price. In time "Patience" will give you the coin you really desire (and you won't need others opinions). Most coins show up for sale quickly but some take forever to find. Usually the wait is rewarded with beauty!!!

Rick

Depends on what you want, if you need a toned one I would snipe it, no need to add another bid to the mix this early, but if you are building a regular set I would wait. If you are building a toned set, do a search for raw lincolns on the bay ans submit yourself

My two cents, with inflation isn't really worth two cents...

It is a beautiful Lincoln, but I agree with the sentiments already given - it's too pricey for the grade and all your paying for is the flashy tone/color. I also agree that you could do far better with a raw coin submitted to NGC.

However, I understand your dilemna after reviewing your set. The 65 RB fits well and maintains the continuity of your set.

Todd

Usually when u ask for this type of opinion, you already know what you want to do and are seeking confirmation. If the coin speaks to you, go for it... if its not really what you want, let it go and continue the search :)

Cheers

Toners are the toughest coins in which to gauge market value. It's a given that most toners demand a premium and the coin you list does have eye appeal, but as to what a fair price is? In the end I have discovered that with toners beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Therefore, whatever premium you are willing pay is in your eye.

Gary

I say, at this level of investment, keep the coin you have until you find the replacement you want. For now, the slot is full, fine. AFTER you get a better or more pleasing coin to your eye, THEN sell the one less in favor. But ENJOY and follow the dream.

Capt Brian

Thank you, everyone for your thoughts on this. I believe I will go ahead and pass on this coin. As some of you have stated, if I was going for toned coins, it would be worth it, but since none of my cents in the collection are toned, it is not worth the extra money.

Marcus