• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions please. by TMS Coins

10 posts in this topic

There was a time when collectors would pay a slight premium for coins that were incapsulated in a grading companies early type holders because many of the coins were often found to be under graded and would upgrade when re-submitted. Most if not all of these types have been resubmitted already. So paying a premium these days for that reason is for the most part unrealistic. Some collectors and dealers still do pay a small premium simply because of the specific holder use period and are considered a prize by some. These are a neat piece of numismatic history, but not worth paying huge premiums. A collectors first interest should always be " The Coin".

I mean coins in old slabs.

The theory is that all grading companies started out more conservatively than they are today, which means if you crack out the coin and resend that you might get the next higher grade in today's market place. I have a feeling that it's not as prevalent as everyone has made it out to be.

The other component is that some designations - ie Roosevelt Dimes didn't receive FT or FB status on early graded coins, which means you can find some coins that would qualify with an FT status if resent, which could tremendously increase the value. A friend on the boards a few years back did this with an MS 68 Roosevelt, which he paid about $150, sent it for designation review and had it returned MS 68 FT - which increased the value 5x.

The third more recent and probably more apt reason is the + grading now being offered. I would think if the early slabs are conservative, then you would almost certainly get a plus grade, which again increases the value of the coin significantly.

The last reason is that some like the early generation holders and try to collect them, well many have been cracked out so they are becoming more scarce. The law of supply and demand kicks in driving up the price.

I agree with the previous post though, buy the coin and not the slab. I'll pay a premium if I like the coin and less for those that are not as attractive.

Todd

The grading scale use to be based on a 65 count scale with a MS65 being the high grade with no 62 or 64 ( I could check my Morgan vam book for better details to be sure). Now we use a 70 scale so the coins that were graded in the 60s and 70s will garner different grades than they actually have. More than likely it is hard to find the old slabs as they have been regraded. The grading companies are still thinking of a 100 count grade which would mean ALL coins would then need to be regraded to fit yet another profile that would keep the grading business busy with profits.

Later---Rick

The + designation started last year or a little earlier. Now that adds a .5 designation so now you have all grades and a in-between grade that could widen the grading scale to 100 points in the future.

Just something to think about. You never know what a great deal you are getting till you see ALL the cards!! Coin collecting is for collectors, dealers - auctioneers, and grading companies.

Later---Rick

one reason I look at coins in older holders is that they are already to settled in . meaning they most likely wont tone anymore and you know it isnt going to turn up latter with some ugly spotting or a big giant thumb print(like on a lot of franklin half dollars). some of these conditions can show up on freshly graded coins up to a year or two latter.

I took a look at my old Morgan book grading. ---In the 60s coins were simply listed as circulated and uncirculated. In the 70s the Uncirculated became more looked at and were called desirable uncirculated such as - BU, Choice, Gem BU. By the mid 70s there were over 30 terms used for uncirculated coins. ANA in 1977 released a guide for uncirculated coins consisting of three grades ---MS60, MS65, MS70 Of course MS70 was non- existant for most coins. In Oct. 1980 MS63 was added, in March 85 MS64 was added. PCGS was formed in 1986 to overcome the differences in the new grades and so on and so on---- I would say that PCGS started correcting a grading scale of 5 points and by the end of a year ended up with a 11 point un-circulated scale. So the slabs you are looking for would be the first year generation PCGS slabs in my opinion.

Well now you know our beginning of SLABBED COINS!!!

Later---Rick

one reason I look at coins in older holders is that they are already to settled in . meaning they most likely wont tone anymore and you know it isnt going to turn up latter with some ugly spotting or a big giant thumb print(like on a lot of franklin half dollars). some of these conditions can show up on freshly graded coins up to a year or two latter.

I have found that toned coins can tone to an extent of undesire as I have been offered a few from others that have changed since their purchase. Slabs are not impervious to air and moisture.Toning is a additive and not a preservative so be careful what you spend your hard earned money on!!!!!