• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ANA National Convention is in Rosemont, IL for 3 loooong years…

23 posts in this topic

In the future, should it rotate between some less-conspicuous but nice cities with real character such as: San Juan, PR; Anchorage, AK; Bangor, ME; Truth or Consequences, NM; and Norfolk, NB?

Maybe --- just a wild thought --- but maybe the ANA could try Washington, DC? Big convention center, lots of hotel space, lots to do both numismatic and otherwise.

I'm delighted with the ANA's choice of Rosemont, a close suburb of Chicago, just outside O'Hare airport.

With all the other big shows on the east coast, the west coast and in the south, it's good to have something in the midwest, usually left out of the major action. Rosemont is within reasonable driving distance of Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin in addition to Illinois, plus plenty of people from other states are vacationing or visiting this area in August.

In the future, should it rotate between some less-conspicuous but nice cities with real character such as: San Juan, PR; Anchorage, AK; Bangor, ME; Truth or Consequences, NM; and Norfolk, NB?

Maybe --- just a wild thought --- but maybe the ANA could try Washington, DC? Big convention center, lots of hotel space, lots to do both numismatic and otherwise.

While Chicago is certainly a convenient drive for us, I rather despise that there is so much over-concentration of shows up there. And I particularly dislike the Rosemont venue. (Of course, being from St. Louis, I have a natural ingrained aversion to anything north-sider lol .)

Would it be so horrible for some of these shows to occur on occasion in, say, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, or Memphis? Chicago was already saturated before these horrible decisions were made.

While Chicago is certainly a convenient drive for us, I rather despise that there is so much over-concentration of shows up there. And I particularly dislike the Rosemont venue. (Of course, being from St. Louis, I have a natural ingrained aversion to anything north-sider lol .)

Would it be so horrible for some of these shows to occur on occasion in, say, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, or Memphis? Chicago was already saturated before these horrible decisions were made.

I have to agree with delta. I know the Central States show is in April near there also, but there are almost no other shows within driving distance of the mid-west. I'm excited to have the ANA show nearby (5.5 hours drive) for the next 3 years.

James, why not Minneapolis? Omaha? Kansas City? Do you also equally "despise" the concentration of shows in Long Beach, Florida, Baltimore, etc?

Despite having a metropolitan population of 3.2 million people, the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area is want of a numismatic culture. There is basically nothing of note for the entire year. This is more than 4 times the metro area population of Little Rock and more than double the population of either the OKC metro area or the Memphis metro areas.

As I recall, the ANA needs a location of a certain minimum size to host the Summer Convention and I don't think that Omaha, Kansas City, etc. are big enough.

I think they also need a certain number of volunteers, too.

However, the Spring ANA is a smaller event, so that's why they can have it in smaller cities.

As I recall, the ANA needs a location of a certain minimum size to host the Summer Convention and I don't think that Omaha, Kansas City, etc. are big enough.

I think they also need a certain number of volunteers, too.

However, the Spring ANA is a smaller event, so that's why they can have it in smaller cities.

Just a few observations...

The Kansas City Convention Center has an unbroken exhibit area (Bartle Hall) of 388,000 square feet (nearly twice the size of that available in any one of the three large halls at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemount, IL where this years ANA Summer show is located). The location in Rosemount does have three large halls totaling 690,000 square feet, so it's possible all of that space is really needed.

By comparison, Roger suggested Washington DC as a location option. If held there, I would presume it would be at The Walter E. Washington Convention Center, which is actually quite comparable to the Kansas City Convention Center, with one large hall of 473,000 square feet.

For size comparisons, the oft-lauded Long Beach shows take place in Exhibit Hall A of the Long Beach Convention Center -- a space of 91,000 square feet.

3 very good years, one knows what to expect with the repeat, Rosemount is a very good venue where one can focus solely on the show, it is connected by the EL to downtown and the airport, and plenty of hotels and restaurants within walking distance. Glad they made the 3 year commitment and hope it becomes permanent.

Best, HT

James, why not Minneapolis? Omaha? Kansas City? Do you also equally "despise" the concentration of shows in Long Beach, Florida, Baltimore, etc?

Any of those would be great choices over Chicago! I definitely do not mind SOME shows in Chicago, of course, but there just seems to be too many of them every year. Chicago is obviously a great city, but there is nothing special about the coin market there that I'm aware of.

In response to the suggestion of Washington DC in August, it should be mentioned the month of August is Washington's worst for climate, usually with heat and humidity many persons find unbearable.

I like the Idea James has. Maybe it is because I am from Oklahoma and would work out great for me but very few shows around here and really think this area needs more promotion then it gets. If not this show maybe they would have some more shows each year that are not as large for these smaller cities/ areas.

....it should be mentioned the month of August is Washington's worst for climate, usually with heat and humidity many persons find unbearable.

That's entirely true! Same for Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, etc.

However, and I hope I'm not mistaken, but I think the ANA conventions are usually held indoors. All of the Washington museums are also indoors (not counting the Smithsonian Merry Go Round). True, the buildings are outdoors, and one might walk from one to another or take the air conditioned subway ("it's more than a foot long!"). And...yes, Nationals Park is outdoors too, but the National Symphony and Opera are indoors. Some restaurants have outdoor eating areas as well as indoor tables. Hotels have indoor and outdoor swimming....

Overall, the only US city with more things to do, places to see and venues for the family, might be New York City…and most Washington museums are free. With good pre-even planning, maybe a few carefully selected visits to the National Numismatic Collection or even the BEP collection vaults could be organized….?

My argument is that 3 years in the same suburban mall-infested place is excessive…once is nice.

Another advantage to Rosemount is its proximity to O'Hare - a major hub. It makes it every easy for out of towners to get in and quickly get to the Convention Center. I am sure that is something ANA considered. How many smaller cities have direct flights to Minneapolis, etc.? Dealers don't want to connect, they want direct flights to minimize travel. So must be part of ANA's thinking. Atlanta would come to mind as another venue with this convenience.

Best, HT

If the Washington Convention Center is too large, there is also the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in Maryland just across the Wilson bridge from DC.

Another advantage to Rosemount is its proximity to O'Hare - a major hub. It makes it every easy for out of towners to get in and quickly get to the Convention Center.

I have done at least a handful of coin shows in Rosemont. Believe me, it is NOT "very easy" nor is it "quick" to get from the airport to the convention center! On the contrary, it's a sizable cab ride, and the odds of hitting traffic are considerable. And should you decide to rent your own car, get ready for toll booths... and even more awful traffic.

I would rather -- and Yes we do this because of the airport-to-convention center hassle -- drive my own car from six hours away and just not have to deal with the airport and traffic mess in Chicago.

Without question, I can think of multiple venues that make it easier to get from the airport to the convention center, but just off the top of my head, the FUN show was quick and surprisingly painless.

I am not saying that "airport-to-convention center" is impossible in Chicago - just emphasizing that it is NOT "very easy" in my experience, nor is it easier than many other venues.

The problem with cities like Chicago is that they are expensive. I like the Baltimore show as a tradition and I can drive there from Connecticut. The FUN show can also be a reasonable trip with economy hotels nearby. I wish coin collectors weren't so independent, but car pooled and shared accomodations more.

James,

I grew up in Chicago and now conduct business there as my companies HQ is in the city. I stay near the airport all the time. To get from the airport to the convention center requires no tolls. The cabs you took must have taken the long way.

That being said, I hate the toll system in Chicago. It's corruption at it's finest. No one really knows who owns it, it's just "regulated" by the State government. There, I said it. I feel better now.

For a big city, Chicago is awesome. Rosemont is NOT the city, but it's not difficult to take a train downtown. I'm planning to go to this show and am looking forward to it.

I understand all the comments about this location. If you are not used to it, there are other cities that would be preferable.

Well, I'll back off of my comments a little :) . Chicago isn't all that bad, really. I'm just mad because the danged Blackhawks still have zero losses, and I thought the shortened season might let the Blues actually do something this year.

At least we can still look forward to beating up on the Cubs lol !

Maybe it should be in "Mall of America?"

The convention should be in the cheapest, meanest and most culturally desolate place available. (Sorry, I meant beyond Rosewood, IL. – Battle Mountain, NV, maybe?) ...and, let's eliminate the “educational" sessions and that kind of thing -- I mean, who attends? Who cares? Exhibits? Why bother -- just a waste of sales space. Clubs? Heck, what's a club anymore except about making money? Same for the "banquet" with the rubber chicken and beef-byproduct in slime? Sitting down to a bad meal and speeches is a misuse of selling time and money making. --- OK, end of cynical drift.

:)

Well, I'll back off of my comments a little :) . Chicago isn't all that bad, really. I'm just mad because the danged Blackhawks still have zero losses, and I thought the shortened season might let the Blues actually do something this year.

At least we can still look forward to beating up on the Cubs lol !

The Blackhawks are my favorite professional team. I'm stoked about their start to this season. The Blues have a great team as well. I think TJ Oshie is a stud! I love watching that dude play.

I'm a White Sox fan so my feelings about the Cubs are likely the same as yours.

Actually, from O'hare a cab ride isn't really necessary to get to the Rosemont Convention Center at all. You can board a CTA train at the airport toward downtown and Rosemont is the first stop (I think). It's like $3.25.

I wouldn't suggest it with your inventory just because of the work if you have multiple bags. Safety will not be an issue. Rosemont is a western suburb of Chicago and not the city proper. The city limits are 5 or 6 miles east.

Another advantage to Rosemount is its proximity to O'Hare - a major hub. It makes it every easy for out of towners to get in and quickly get to the Convention Center.

I have done at least a handful of coin shows in Rosemont. Believe me, it is NOT "very easy" nor is it "quick" to get from the airport to the convention center! On the contrary, it's a sizable cab ride, and the odds of hitting traffic are considerable. And should you decide to rent your own car, get ready for toll booths... and even more awful traffic.

I would rather -- and Yes we do this because of the airport-to-convention center hassle -- drive my own car from six hours away and just not have to deal with the airport and traffic mess in Chicago.

Without question, I can think of multiple venues that make it easier to get from the airport to the convention center, but just off the top of my head, the FUN show was quick and surprisingly painless.

I am not saying that "airport-to-convention center" is impossible in Chicago - just emphasizing that it is NOT "very easy" in my experience, nor is it easier than many other venues.

Agreed the cab ride from ORL to FUN is quick in off rush hour times but expensive ($50 with tip). I take the EL from OHare to Rosemont then walk 3-5 minutes to the Convention Center, all for $3.25 and very quick with regular trains and easy walking access from the terminal. With such quick and great public transportation, no need to get a cab. Having said that, Chicago is no worse or no better than any major city for traffic in and around airports, if my experiences in Boston, LAX, SFO, Houston, Dallas, ORL, JFK, Newark, etc. are comparable which I believe they are.

Having said that I don't think it is that bad. It is a 5 minute drive, 2.8 miles between terminal and Convention Center according to Google Maps. Never heard anyone complain about it nor in my several years living in the Chicago vicinity and using OHare on a regular basis have I experienced unusually troublesome traffic at OHare. Closer to down town, oui, but OHare, even when clogged on I-190 from the airport to Rosemont it is still moving.

From Google Maps:

Driving directions to Donald E Stephens Convention Center

Chicago O'Hare International Airport

10000 West O'Hare Avenue

Chicago, IL 60666

1. Head southeast 0.5 mi

2. Take the ramp onto I-190 E 2.0 mi

3. Take exit 1B toward South River Road 0.3 mi

4. Merge onto N River Rd 207 ft

5. Turn left onto Bryn Mawr Ave

Destination will be on the right 26 ft

Donald E Stephens Convention Center

9301 Bryn Mawr Ave

Rosemont, IL 60018

Best, HT

Maybe it should be in "Mall of America?"

The convention should be in the cheapest, meanest and most culturally desolate place available. (Sorry, I meant beyond Rosewood, IL. – Battle Mountain, NV, maybe?) ...and, let's eliminate the “educational" sessions and that kind of thing -- I mean, who attends? Who cares? Exhibits? Why bother -- just a waste of sales space. Clubs? Heck, what's a club anymore except about making money? Same for the "banquet" with the rubber chicken and beef-byproduct in slime? Sitting down to a bad meal and speeches is a misuse of selling time and money making. --- OK, end of cynical drift.

:)

Irony?

My conscience is with the Green Party's adherence to natural law as the moral imperative with a healthy dose of libertarian party's opposition to paper investments. What this field of endeavor needs is a healthy influx of young blood and true believers in the historical background of sound money throughout U.S. history.