• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp for the classic commem set

10 posts in this topic

With this coin I've reached the 1/4 way point in my classic commem type set. It's been a blast working on it so far and I hope to have half the set completed by the end of this year.

Stone Mountain's are very difficult to find nicely toned, especially below 67 (there's around a 300% price jump at 67). Luckily I found this beauty in 66. More colorful in hand, especially on the reverse which shows hues of pink and ice blue throughout.

image_zpsf7248940.jpgimage_zpscebd7078.jpg

Very nice. I picked up my Stone Mountain from a dealer while on a business trip in MO. The fellow I bought it from was "getting up there" in years, even when compared to me. We talked about the coin for a while and he told me about being a young boy and going with his mother to a nursing home where there were a number of Civil War veterans. It wasn't uncommon for these men to have a Stone Mountain pocket piece and they would tell him stories of the war, igniting his interest in coin collecting. He recounted some of the stories to me. By the time he was done, he was actually crying, it moved him so..and in turn moved me. I wouldn't say I was crying, but my allergies were causing my eyes to water... ;) It really brought home the history of the coin and the reality of the war not to mention those who may have held the coin before me. At any rate, I like your coin. nice pick up.

I intend to purchase a nice example of these one day. I used to live in the Atlanta area. Stone mountain is one of the most inexplicable products of nature. The Mt. Rushmore of the South is very neat. If you ever visit the park, take a few minutes to learn the history of the carving. Well worth it.