• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I gun shy?

19 posts in this topic

After reading the thread with the fake PCGS holder, and realizing I wouldn't have known the difference, now I am running scared of buying a fake. The photos from the web site are too crappy to really get a good feel for the coin, and I am obviously not the guy to ask about fake holders. Does this one look legit or not? The cert number comes up correctly at the PCGS site, but obviously, that doesn't make it real either. (shrug)

134179.jpg.1629288d129e75b88a082261c40a8f79.jpg

134180.jpg.3b0abd55194d628fca8d53f2b87a03dd.jpg

I'm wondering where the bar code is. hm OOPS! It's on the back. The thing has moved from one side to the other through the years. :insane:

I'm not an expert at spotting fake holders from the aspect of the printing on the label. I've done it, but only when I was camparing a real holder to a suspected fake one. In other words I don't have a perfect knowledge of the fonts, and I doubt that anyone else does.

In this case I think you might be paranoid because I'm not aware of any one doing a fake 10th ounce gold eagle in a fake PCGS holder.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the TPG's offered a service for a small fee that if you email them a pic they could tell you whether it was a definite fake? When they start this service, I want a royalty!

I was also wondering where the Series and coin # are

Series 10 Coin120

someone playing around in photochop:)

PCGS stopped listing that almost ten years ago. The examples you see with that today are older holders.

After reading the thread with the fake PCGS holder, and realizing I wouldn't have known the difference, now I am running scared of buying a fake. The photos from the web site are too crappy to really get a good feel for the coin, and I am obviously not the guy to ask about fake holders. Does this one look legit or not? The cert number comes up correctly at the PCGS site, but obviously, that doesn't make it real either. (shrug)

I'm not an expert in counterfeit slab detection. I looked at several series of coins and various types of PCGS slabs and did not find any that had the bar code on the back of the sticker. Also, I don't believe that any TPG would partially obscure the bar code with a hologram label. The PCGS slabs that I have that are like your example have the bar code on the front of the label beneath the registration number. They also list the Series number and Coin number.

Stay away, stay very far away.

Carl

The listing where I spotted this at rather caused me to raise my eyebrows. The owner want to trade this coin/slab for another 1/10 oz coin/slab plus $20 because this one is "rare". Doesn't want to sell it, just trade.... Something just kind of seemed hinky in wanting to trade a 1/10 Gold Eagle for another 1/10 oz eagle plus $20. The rarity comment by the seller seemed rather like something from a shyster as well. That's when I got suspicious of the slab....

Looks fine to me but no way I'd trade slabs + $20. That type of holder/label adds no value. Plus it's a 69. I'd just buy a raw one instead of that one.

The best way to guard against buying a counterfeit is to learn to diagnose and recognize counterfeit coins and not the holders necessarily. Most of the counterfeit holders that I have seen posted I could detect quickly not based on the holder, but based on the coin itself.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to let someone else take this "deal". I like to think I could tell a fake coin, but the photos are pretty bad on this one.. I think there are better places and ways to get a fractional eagle. Mostly I was just leary of the coin since the photos were so bad, and I would have gotten suckered on the earlier posted fake PCGS holder. But it looks like this one is legit.

The listing where I spotted this at rather caused me to raise my eyebrows. The owner want to trade this coin/slab for another 1/10 oz coin/slab plus $20 because this one is "rare". Doesn't want to sell it, just trade.... Something just kind of seemed hinky in wanting to trade a 1/10 Gold Eagle for another 1/10 oz eagle plus $20. The rarity comment by the seller seemed rather like something from a shyster as well. That's when I got suspicious of the slab....

....exactly.....why would someone want to give up the "rare" one ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Rare should be a term reserved for things like the Bust Dollars in a neighboring thread.

Forget about rarity on these things. They are common. Are you specifically looking for slabbed ones? If not, just find a credible dealer and buy it with the packaging. There are tons of these around....

jom