• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL Trade Dollar question

17 posts in this topic

Yes, NGC designates PL on any series that meets the criteria. PCGS, in typical fashion, lags NGC in designations - only the Morgan and a select few other coins get the PL designation. There are currently 3 PL Trade dollars on Ebay, all from the same seller. There are 19 PL Trade Dollars designated for the series. In absolute terms, this is a scarce series for PL (not rare by any stretch). In relative terms, the Trade Dollar is fairly availabe in PL. I would have to see your trade dollar to evaluate it properly, of course, but this series is somewhat often found in semi-pl to pl.

Please post pics of your trade dollar, I would love to see it.

Jim - trying to take good pictures of a PL coin is next to impossible (just ask Bob) - but from my interpretation of those pictures, it does not look PL.

Agreed. Nor does it look uncirculated/gradable as an MS coin.

I think it might be Prooflike based on the type of surface texture I am seeing; it does not look frosty. However, it looks like a dog. It's definitely not original and it is probably abrasively cleaned, though it's remotely possible I am just seeing die polish.

I haven't seen many PL trade dollars, and I collected them for years. I've personally handled an 1875-CC I/II with PL surfaces and a long curved scratch that PCI deemed "MS62". I also onced owned an 1876 I/II (like the one in the upcoming Heritage auction) in NGC MS63. I've heard of a couple of other 1876s that I never got to see.

Well,

I' think I will submit to NGC and see how it comes back. I won't go minimum grade, just let them crack it and grade.

Well,

I' think I will submit to NGC and see how it comes back. I won't go minimum grade, just let them crack it and grade.

Good luck with the submission. Also, I think you made the right call by allowing them to crack it out instead of doing it yourself. They are a pain when you crack them. They are made of cheap plastic and always break in shards!