• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help to grade CBH!

14 posts in this topic

I must confess that I never had a chance to hold any CBH in my hands before, and I bought this one sight unseen in non-NGC-PCGS holder :/

What do you think about the grade? Would NGC grade it?

CBHOBV.jpg

CBHREV.jpg

As is, they would not grade it. There is active PVC or corrosion evident on both sides. A treatment with acetone, or a trip to NCS, should fix the problem.

I'd grade it AU-50 details, right now.

Does the coin really look as yellow as the photo ??

It looks to be around Au 50 , however based on the photo I dont see it getting into anything other then a details holder.

I am going to edit what I said about the coin . I still say Au 50 and take back the comment about the details grade as I am on the fence about that. I don’t see clearly the PVC or corrosion that Jason mentioned . I can see why he would make the PVC comment as there are some suspicious areas. I don’t see any corrosion. The coin may have some Verdigris which in itself will not put a coin in a details holder. I am going to assume the color balance was way off on the photo – can you post a better photo ??

I'll go with AU50. But it is not possible to say much more with out seeing true color photos. Sure would like to see some cleaner photos. Looks like an O-107 R3.

Carl

Give it an acetone bath, take new pictures, and then let me guess again. There are green spots under the date, outside of stars 3 and 11, and along the right side of the reverse.

I think those green spots might be Verdigris , those are the suspicious areas I mentioned.

I think I overexposed my first pictures, so this time I didn't do anything for them, except cropping. I think I start see the areas with verdigris or PVC.. I think..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I would call the coin XF45, shot 50 except that the coin has active PVC. As is, it should be in a "details" holder; however, I think the coin can likely be conserved (i.e. it is likely not too late) to give it a bath in acetone to remove the PVC.