• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grey Sheet Bid/Ask Prices

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to buy a coin at the asking price from the Grey Sheet? If someone has an ask price, is there a way to find out who that dealer is and pay his asking price?

Does anyone know how to buy a coin at the asking price from the Grey Sheet? If someone has an ask price, is there a way to find out who that dealer is and pay his asking price?

What do you mean by "from the Grey Sheet"? The GreySheet itself does not sell coins.

If you mean "buy coins at greysheet levels", that can be easy depending on the series. I can sell you 1921 Peace dollars in most any circulated grade at or below greysheet all day long. 1927-S in MS-63? not so much.

....I was curious about this also. Thanks. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

From what I read, the Greysheet Bid/Ask prices are prices dealers have submitted saying they will sell a coin for so much (ask) and buy it for so much (bid). And that it is controlled by the owners of the publishers that if xyz coin comes up to sell, then whomever offered that buy price has to buy it, thus keeping the prices in check. If their prices are just guides, then the sheet isnt worth investing in, just go to ebay or heritage and deduct 15% for sellers fees and you have an idea of what to pay for break even, less for whatever profit your seeking. From what I've researched with the greysheet, their prices on gold is no where close to realized prices on sales. Just looking at last weeks bullion published, "someone" is asking 795.40 for Mexican 20 Gold Pesos. Melt on those was 816.27 at their spot price. On the bay, they had some sell last week at between $855-$860, after fees, yea, the sellers down to $750ish, so where is the bid coming from?? Could have sold them to "the bidders" for more money than the bay.

"From the beginning, as now, the CDN examines all possible sources of information: teletype services, computerized trading networks, dealer trades, "buy" lists, and auction Prices Realized."

Like I said, I wonder whom or where dealer trades, buy list auction prices or what ever is selling 20 Mexican Gold Pesos at for $795.40 last week. No one I've called has them for that price, nor does ebay even show a bid that low, $800 is the lowest back on Dec 19.

I have decided to stop getting the grey sheet.,and this is a couple reasons why. CND list a 1915s lincoln in ms 64 rb at $1100 or less (buy), and a 1914s in same grade at $1550 I'll buy a truck load at those prices. With the advent of the computer the Greysheet is almost useless, except to use as a tool to con the unsuspecting public that does not watch auction sales.

wheat

if grey sheets are a guide only and a poor one as some seem to think....what is good to use if your going to a coin show where you may not have access to the web? I have a bad memory so I cant rely on what I may remember. Thanks!!

if grey sheets are a guide only and a poor one as some seem to think....what is good to use if your going to a coin show where you may not have access to the web? I have a bad memory so I cant rely on what I may remember. Thanks!!

A guide can still be useful. For example, I know that for many of the types and quality of coins I buy, Graysheet is too low. But often, it still gives me a good reference or starting point upon which to base my decision. It also list some grades and price indications which aren't readily available elsewhere.

Doing research ahead of time or experience with a particular series can help you get a "feel" for correct pricing; however, there will ALWAYS be instances where you will need to refer to auction records or a Price Guide. I recommend an iPad with built in internet access or a similar tablet P.C. If you purchase several coins a month, I would also recommend PCGS Coin Facts that will show the most recent prices realized for both PCGS and NGC certified coins from several different venues (whenever available).

Let me put this way.

There are dealers out there who will tell you that Gray Sheet prices are all too low and that they coins they are selling are worth a WHOLE lot more, sometimes multiples of the Gray Sheet listings. While a lot of good coins are worth more than the Gray Sheet numbers, they almost always not worth double or triple Gray Sheet numbers.

BEWARE

The Gray Sheet gives you a floor for a lot things, and a base number can be very useful. Auction results tell you one thing, but everything. Sometimes a pair of bidders go nuts and pay more than they should. Sometimes the coin had a problem that was not disclosed, and that's why the price was low. You can't depend on one guide, but you do look to look at several, including the Gray Sheet, before you make a major purchase.

And there are some areas where the Gray Sheet is too high. At FUN there was a dealer who had the four piece Jackie Robinson silver dollar and $5 gold set available for 10% under bid. That might have looked like a good deal, but he went home with it with no takers at that level at a major show.

Common coins such as common date Morgans and Walkers can be bought for sheet prices. Don't expect toners or anything extraordinary.

Commems can often be bought for below sheet prices.

It's too bad HA doesn't have a mobile app to quickly pull up auction prices. As it is, their website is cumbersome and awkward. On the other hand, I don't know about other shows but there is no cell-phone coverage at the Long Beach Convention Center. So if the gray sheet is not particularly relevant, it puts us collectors at a bit of a disadvantage. I myself, keep track of current prices on the series' that I collect, but occasionally see an interesting coin whose value I am not familiar with at a show and in those cases I will get the dealers contact info and get back in touch when I've done further research -- taking the risk the coin will be sold.

Any others have any suggestions on this topic?

Thank You.

One of the primary reasons I mostly buy and sell online is that were I am at, many dealers are unfair and use greysheet to buy. Doesn't matter if the coin is nicely toned, goes for more, etc. They look at greysheet and then give me a % below it and that's it.

For example, generic gold they gave me a number that's even below the melt value!

I had two 1837 capped bust halves slabbed.....I was offer 300 for both or 250 credit, I sold the two on the bst for $800.