• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 piece Norse Medal Set

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen them all together in one collection? I'm assuming it has been done before (Bass maybe, I know the large format silvered and the gold were in that sale).

Theoretically, this could be pushed to a set of five with the "believed to be unique" proof.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Here's a cobbled together version of what they would look like.

Thick

norseobvrev.jpg

Thin

NorseThinobv.jpgNorsethinrev.jpg

Large Format Silvered (image from HA)

Norselargeformat.jpgNorselargerev.jpg

Gold (image from HA)

norsegoldobv.jpgnorsegoldrev.jpg

Proof Thick Matte (posted by Aegis3 from the Stack's June 14-15, 1995 sale)

norse-st_jun_95.jpg

What is the large format silvered? How is it different?

The gold one is awesome but so expensive I bet

Description on the Norse Large Format from the Bass sale.

1925 Medal Norse Large Format MS64 NGC. Ex: Bass. Most commemorative collectors are familiar with the octagonal Norse American silver medals, thin and thick planchet pieces coined for the centennial celebration that was held at the Minnesota State Fairground in June 1925. Advanced collectors are familiar with the similar octagonal gold medal that was struck at the Philadelphia Mint in matte proof. However, few collectors have seen the large format medals like the one offered here. The octagonal shape was intended to avoid confusion with actual commemorative half dollars.

Congress authorized a maximum of 40,000 Norse American centennial medals on March 2, 1925, and production occurred at the Philadelphia Mint a little over two months later. That gave little time to prepare a design and engrave the dies. James Earle Fraser, perhaps best known for his Buffalo nickel design that was in circulation at the time, was selected to prepare the Norse designs.

Today we believe that just 60 of these large format 2-5/8 inch medals were produced about December 1925. The composition is "triple-silvered" bronze. The original intention was to provide museums with a display piece identical in design to the small silver and gold medals.

This impressive example from the Harry W. Bass, Jr. collection, exhibits brilliant silver surfaces with a few tiny toning specks. Swirling die polish lines are visible on each side. The number of surviving example is unknown but is doubtless extremely small.

Ex: Harry W. Bass, Jr. (Bowers and Merena, 5/1999), lot 2192.

From The Stephen L. Schechter Collection.

I have examined a few of the large format silver pieces in hand and they are striking/awesome looking. I also looked at a (normal size) gold one. Cool set!

I know several who have the three that are needed for the registry set. I have only seen one large format Norse (which is not part of the registry set). The gold piece can get pricey

MJ