• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carson City GSA Hoard Morgans

19 posts in this topic

Guest Golddog3

I've heard many comments that the Carson City GSA Hoard Morgans are overpriced and may be over-graded by NGC and PCGS. These dollars seem to keep their premium, however. What do you think about collecting these in MS and slabbed?

My opinion is that, in general, CC dollars tend to be graded more liberally than those from other mints. Their popularity is indesputable, however.

Collect them if you like them, but don't count on them as investments. I would suggest the same about any other types of coins, as well.

Personally, I like the CC's whether they have the GSA provenance or not. One of the reasons the grading services tend to be a little lenient in grading them is because so many never saw the light of day. They were bagged and stored in vaults for 60-80 years. Some of the nicks & dings came when the bags were moved around.

Chris

That would be Bryans. It was posted by Oreville ATS and I found it for Bryan a couple years ago. Mine would be significantly smaller. :)

You can always collect them like this.

Yours or is that a picture from Bryan's former collection?

If you went through them then they wouldn't be like that any more.

Collecting shipping boxes........is that a new offshoot of numismatic exonumia?

Buy the box, not the coin!

Chris

My question is HOW to determine which one is actually the Original Packaging sent by the G.

I see all kinds of White Boxes sealed that are for sale, but have no indication that they came with a shipping label on them, on Fleabay

Regards.... Jim

I also would Assume that the Blue Boxes with Light Blue Tape are the Original Packages. I noticed in the photo even some of the White Flat boxes have what appears to be a government logo and correct shipping label

Regards..... Jim

Anyone Else, Know where to get one of the Original Boxes with Labels, Certs, Postage Intact?

At a smaller auction. We get them from time to time, but they tend to sell very strongly.

Ditto proof sets, incidentally.

James,

Can you Please describe Very Strongly? Also, Is it "possible" that color of box/wrapper determine higher grade/rarity/P/PL?

I would be very interested in one of these. If you come across one Please email me @ J3_Dog@yahoo.com

Thanks So Much.... Jim