• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Toning Experiment - Soliciting Participants!

78 posts in this topic

UPDATE

Due to me being lazy, and dealing with moving, i haven't paid much experiment to this thread or experiment for that matter.

I pulled out the board tonight, which up until today only had one coin in it. I had left the acetate slide in, which covered part of the obverse and part of the reverse.

Needless to say, that one coin has, in fact, begun toning.

IMG_20130508_181642_999.jpg

I have added 2 more coins tonight, and will finish the board tomorrow.

IMG_20130508_185202_557.jpg

It looks like the toning predominantly affects the area exposed without the acetate to protect it.

Hey, I think that 2011 is the Old Pueblo coin - :banana:

Cool!

Yes indeed. I have removed all the acetate slides to encourage more thorough toning!

Hello JC Also regarding OP's inquiry on an up date is the maple leaf doing anything different than the other coins?

I know this is a long term project so forgive the curiosity.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I am going to dig the coins up tomorrow (I recently moved), and will provide an update.

In all likelihood, I will also probably end the experiment, unless something amazing has happened, and will return the coins to their respective owners.

Thanks!

-AJ

Sorry for the delay, gentlemen.

Just moved, and this project was an afterthought for a few months.

Just found the coins after a week of looking thru boxes, lol.

At any rate, the project had mixed results.

Here is the picture of the coins today:

20131002_185043.jpg

The two coins of the left didnt tone at all.

The top Eagles on the top right have toned somewhat, neither attractively.

The Eagle on the bottom right toned immensely when it was partially covered by the acetate slide, but stopped toning for the most part when the slide was removed.

The toning on all the coins is a brownish orange, not terribly attractive.

Wish the results were better!

At any rate, Ill start shipping these coins back to you guys, just PM me your addresses.

Thanks,

AJ

Did anyone here actually think these would tone any differently in such a short amount of time?

Larry, why don't you go back to being a bully in your 'Follow the lead' picture post.

Did anyone here actually think these would tone any differently in such a short amount of time?

Larry, why don't you go back to being a bully in your 'Follow the lead' picture post.

You can't bait me into one of your dog fights. I ask an honest question.