• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Toning Experiment - Soliciting Participants!

78 posts in this topic

All,

I am about to embark on reconstructive foot surgery, and will be laid up for a while. So I decided to do something I have been thinking about for a while.

I bought the following Wayte Raymond board on eBay:

1.jpg

My plan is to enlarge 6 or more of the holes to create a board that looks like this (my photoshop rendering):

2.jpg

Those 6 enlarged holes will be sized to fit silver eagles.

The intent is to 'activate' the sulfuric content of the Wayte Raymond boards to impart rainbow toning on 6 white silver eagles.

ALL 5 SLOTS FILLED!

Another thread will be created to monitor the toning of the coins, with regular updates and pictures provided.

Ground Rules:

• There are 5 slots available
  • You will provide a coin and ship it to me, and I will return when experiment is complete.
  • I am not responsible to any damage to your coin as a result of this experiment. (including, but not limited to, TPG AT designation)
  • I reserve the right to deny certain participants.
  • You agree that I can use your forum name in experiment related posts.
  • The experiment may last up to, but no longer than 1 year, depending on the rate of toning.
  • You agree that I may give the coins an acetone bath before the experiment.

Participants

• newprepper (1998 American Eagle) (received)
  • skeeter (1989 Canadian Maple Leaf) (received)
  • nk1nk (2003 American Eagle) (received)
  • jpcienkus (2009 American Eagle) (received)
  • old pueblo (2011 American Eagle) (received)
  • jerseycat10

Might I suggest that, due to the finishes over the years, you try to use varying years for the experiment?

For instance, not all from 2010-2013....

At least one from 1986-1990, 1991-1995, 1996-2000, 2001-2005, 2006-2013, etc....

Not even talking proof/reverse proof/burnished for this, though that could be interesting as well. I have just noticed the surface difference over the years when looking at the album...and also when seeing toned SAEs from the different years.

Jerseycat

I can send a 2012 Eagle or a 1989 Maple leaf.

I am somewhat new to the forum and a small collector.

Let me know if you can use one of these coins.

Thanks Skeeter

I would also suggest that all coins be given an acetone rinse before the experiment begins to remove any surface oils etc that could interfere with the toning. After all if the coin has a oil film that protects it from any sulfur compounds you might not get any toning. Or differences in the thickness of a film could cause splotchy toning. If all of the coins are rinsed then they all start off with the same bare surfaces.

Skeeter, the 89 Maple Leaf would be a nice addition to the experiment.

I will be sure to enlarge one of the spots to 38mm as opposed to 41mm since the Maple Leaf, AFAIK, is only 38mm.

What are you going to do about the slide covers? they will be too small to cover the coins completely, and my experience is the toning frequently is more pronounced near the areas of air exposure.

Nick, you are in. Pick any date from the 2000's, and let me know.

e1cnr, I am not planning on using a slide cover. I plan on putting the board in my cold and humid crawlspace.

I will likely fill the quarter slots with some raw BU '64 Washies I have.

Bochiman, thanks for the suggestion. I will try to coordinate which dates people send in. Are you interested in participating?

Thank you, but not at this time.

Looking forward to the results though.

Nick, you are in. Pick any date from the 2000's, and let me know.

e1cnr, I am not planning on using a slide cover. I plan on putting the board in my cold and humid crawlspace.

I will likely fill the quarter slots with some raw BU '64 Washies I have.

Unless you have a very clean crawlspace, or have some sort of cover, you may want to rethink that. I understand the humidity portion, but, at least in my crawlspace, there is too much exposed dirt/dirt particles.

Any dirt/dust in the air is likely to land on the coin's surface and will cause the small dark spot often seen on toned coins. If you have something around the page that will filter that out, then it could be ok, but if just open and exposed, you may not get the best type of toning.

Just going by experience on the heavy dust particles that settle on open coins and also what my crawlspace looks like and would likely do (and, in my crawlspace, the squirrels may mistake them for shiny pinecones ;) ).

I thought I read somewhere that the chemical reaction imparted from the old boards like the Wayte-Raymond tends to dissipate with age.

Chris (shrug)

I thought I read somewhere that the chemical reaction imparted from the old boards like the Wayte-Raymond tends to dissipate with age.

Chris (shrug)

That's my understanding as well. Maybe the fresh holes will help but I don't think so. I'm also thinking it's going to be tough to cut new holes in this type of page.

What are you going to do about the slide covers? they will be too small to cover the coins completely, and my experience is the toning frequently is more pronounced near the areas of air exposure.

This is absolutely true. I have several that have been in flips for many years and the parts near the openings are dark toned while the rest of the coin is blast white.