• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1794 Dollar is now the worlds most valuable coin!

44 posts in this topic

It already held the record for the highest price paid for a coin. It last sold three years ago for $7.84 million which beat the 1933 double eagle. It now also holds the record for the highest amount bid on a coin at auction. That was previously held by a 1000 Mohur coin at $8 million ($9.5 million with the juice) but it did not reach the reserve and the sale did not take place.

Funny though to think that after adjusting for inflation for the past 11 years, the 1933 $20 brought $9.7m adjusted.

I have nothing against CAC or the CAC concept, so don't get me wrong, but for some reason seeing the green bean on the holder of a $10 million coin struck me as funny.

I would be very disappointed not to see one on a $10,000,000.00 coin ;)

I have nothing against CAC or the CAC concept, so don't get me wrong, but for some reason seeing the green bean on the holder of a $10 million coin struck me as funny.

I can understand that. On the other hand, I think it's far more important to have CAC evaluate an especially valuable coin than it is a not so valuable one. ;)

Funny though to think that after adjusting for inflation for the past 11 years, the 1933 $20 brought $9.7m adjusted.

In that case, adjusted for inflation, the 1000 Mohur was bid to $21.855 million. $25.133 million with the juice)

In that case, adjusted for inflation, the 1000 Mohur was bid to $21.855 million. $25.133 million with the juice)

Were there real bids, or was it just a sham sale for publicity?

I don't have much respect for this, "It didn't make the reserve," excuse.

Does this coin have a green bean or gold bean? :D I have no idea what a J1776 so I'm gonna google it to see what the fuss is all about

J-1776 would be the unique Gold Indian Head double eagle. J-1776 is the designation assigned to it by J. Hewitt Judd in his book "United States Pattern Coins, Experimental and Trial Pieces." It is a one of a kind 1907 St. Gaudens piece.

Does this coin have a green bean or gold bean? :D I have no idea what a J1776 so I'm gonna google it to see what the fuss is all about

J-1776 would be the unique Gold Indian Head double eagle. J-1776 is the designation assigned to it by J. Hewitt Judd in his book "United States Pattern Coins, Experimental and Trial Pieces." It is a one of a kind 1907 St. Gaudens piece.

Here's a link to an image: see here

I'd be willing to bet a 10 oz silver bar that the Judd-1776 would bring more than the Cardinal 1794 dollar at auction.

I'd be willing to bet a 10 oz silver bar that the Judd-1776 would bring more than the Cardinal 1794 dollar at auction.

Mark, thank you for posting the link to the photo with bonus provenance info. And PerryHall, I think that if the J-1776 were to ever be put up for auction we would easily see a new world auction price paid for a coin, exceeding the Cardinal Collection 1794 silver dollar by many millions. Some experts estimate that the J-1776 could bring as much as 20 million dollars, maybe even 25 million. IMHO, this would be a very reasonable price considering it is both unique and a stunning piece of artwork. I could stare at the J-1776 all day long, but a 100 million dollar Picasso might hold my attention for a couple of minutes.

I've never understood what people see in that J-1776. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. (Liberty looks like she had a really bad problem with acne scarring when she was younger.) I would much rather have the Carter 1794 dollar. (Although frankly it doesn't appeal to me either. There are other 1794 dollars that I like a lot better.)

I like coins and all, but I can't see spending $10M on one. I guess if I was wealthy and have it as disposable income :) I've noticed there's not one coin on their site I can afford anyway. Way outta my league!

Congrats to the new owners!!