• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1835 Bust Dime Opinions wanted

11 posts in this topic

Greetings: I came across this 1835 Bust dime and would like to get some opinions. What do you think the coin is worth (current market retail)? What do you think of the assigned grade? Toning? Eye appeal?

It's priced at 64 money. The pedigree is certainly a factor here also. This type of toning I really like and capped bust dimes are one of my favorite series. I appreciate your opinion.

PCGS MS63 1835 Bust Dime on the Bay

I have seen some of the Eliasberg half-dimes (and of course other so-pedigreed coins), and believe the grading tended to err on the high side. The images aren't too great and make the coin appear to lack luster. It just looks a little "murky". You can take a chance, as I believe Julian offers a gracious return policy for his coins.

I would have to see it in hand, know the die variety JR1 and compare with other JR1's. There is some weak definition in Ms. Liberty's hair around the eye and ear so I am wondering if JR1's always are this way or if this piece is not struck well compared to other JR1's. It has nice tone to be sure but I would like to see the luster in hand and check for surface blemishes.

Best, HT

Priced at whatever the market will bear?

Other overpricing methods IMO: price pedigree material as well as supposedly lock upgrade material at next higher grade. Price raw sliders at MS money with a slick sales routine behind it. Crack out purple holder problem coins and sell them as perfectly good choice coins. If you score a homerun with a lucky coin that gets into a big upgrade holder, still tout it as PQ+ and as a high end sure to CAC coin....