• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Used Verdicare on this large cent. Should I re-soak or is the best I can do?

7 posts in this topic

I soaked this large cent I bought to use Vedicare on. I see some improvement but much of the verdigris is still there. Maybe I picked one that was too far gone? It was $8. Any suggestions? Should I redo the process. I first soaked in distilled water and acetone in the dark with a distilled water rinse before an overnight soak in Verdi-care.

Before:

1837beforeverdicare_zps18c9581f.jpg

After:

1837after_zps68a7ae3f.jpg

I am actually talking about the verdigris still on the coin. I know it has surface issues. I tried verd-care on a few coins, having the best results on a coin with a small glob of verdigris. I bought it for $8 but should have offered $5. The other coin I used it on was a 1853 braided hair with a glob of verdigris on it but that that turned out good and seems to be improving as it dries. I wonder why it is taking longer to dry though than this one? It is good to know the limits you can do with it. I have tried it on three old coppers, they all have improved but some seem too far gone, like this one.

Your coin had been previously cleaned and the verdigris reformed. VC will not remove thick, heavy verdigris. The product is not designed for that, please read the documentation. If you're determined the best thing would be to soak it for 24 hours in VC and then work the verdigris with a toothpick (while under fluid). You might be able to improve it some but I doubt you'll get full removal. No matter, the coin is already heavily pitted and pretty much a goner.

While VC may not be able to remove the heavy verdigris, it will inactive it and stop the corrosion process where it is.

I got that coin for $8 in a box marked $10-$20 which is probably two high. This one turned out better but maybe use the toothpick on that one spot. There was a glob of verdigris at 9 and 10 o'clock. Maybe I should go over what is left with a toothpick?

1853afterverdigris_zps3867c662.jpg

I soaked this large cent I bought to use Vedicare on. I see some improvement but much of the verdigris is still there. Maybe I picked one that was too far gone? It was $8. Any suggestions? Should I redo the process. I first soaked in distilled water and acetone in the dark with a distilled water rinse before an overnight soak in Verdi-care.

Before:

1837beforeverdicare_zps18c9581f.jpg

After:

1837after_zps68a7ae3f.jpg

This coin looks too far gone to improve beyond what you've already done.