• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Low Relief Matte Proof better candidate

19 posts in this topic

Here is another 22 it is double struck, has the correct color and is a first die state 1922 peace.

20130122_181813_zps2dbac8c7.jpg

20130122_181827_zps726e140d.jpg

20130122_181838_zps2a05c9e9.jpg

20130122_181930_zps236a314f.jpg

20130122_181943_zpsc56e9edd.jpg

20130122_182922_zps6e1c1bfc.jpg

20130122_182947_zpsd5325f9b.jpg

20130122_183040_zps0de8b5f5.jpg

I will be posting more on this thread soon. I have to wait for my coins to come in. I purchased one that has every single die mark that is present on the 22 matter proof listed on PCGS coinfacts.

That's a business strike that's probably in the AU-BU grade range, but the pictures don't really show the surfaces. The proofs are so different than business strikes it'd be hard not to notice them 1922%20Peace%20Dollar%20Low%20Relief%20NGC%20PR65%20large.jpg .

This piece is also NOT double struck. It has what's called a "heavy collar clash" (reference Herbert's guide on mint errors) and is exceedingly common and worth no premium for that.

Moreover, according to a HA sale from 2006, Breen had written that 2, just 2, documented LRMP's were produced, both of which are accounted for.

It doesn't look like a proof to me. I've handled thousands of 1922 Peace dollars and never come across a low relief proof. Your odds of winning the Powerball are better than coming across a raw, low relief 1922 matte proof Peace dollar.

The coin is ugly and not a Proof. You are not going to find the Holy Grail Proof Peace dollar.

Do you understand how rare these Proof Peace dollars are ? The chances of you finding one raw is about the same as winning the Power Ball twice in a row .

Totally 100% not dipped. The has a very muted almost steel grey look to it. I don't know I have never seen another peace dollar like it. This coin also has far more detail in the central hair. I am sure it hasn't been dipped though.

I agree that the coin does not look dipped. However, it is not a Proof. And if you think it might be, you need to study up, instead of dreaming. ;)

Did you even look at it. This is a different coin. Also the LRMP and through satin proofs were not full PROOFS they were basically special strikes.

Yes, I looked at the last image/coin - why would you ask or assume otherwise? And I am familiar with the different types of Proof Peace Dollars - I have examined and handled quite a few of them.

Did you even look at it. This is a different coin. Also the LRMP and through satin proofs were not full PROOFS they were basically special strikes.

Pro-tip: If light is actively reflecting off the surface, it's not a matte proof (about 99% accurate on this from pieces I've handled)

Pro-tip: If light is actively reflecting off the surface, it's not a matte proof (about 99% accurate on this from pieces I've handled)

I think the poster is hoping for and asking about a Satin Proof example, not a Matte.

I think the poster is hoping for and asking about a Satin Proof example, not a Matte.

Touche.

Though, iirc, the only Satin example I've seen also had very muted surfaces.

Touche.

I have seen a couple of Satin examples and the surfaces were nothing like those seen on the Matte Proofs, in that they did exhibit luster.

Touche.

I have seen a couple of Satin examples and the surfaces were nothing like those seen on the Matte Proofs, in that they did exhibit luster.

Then I stand corrected on the Satin examples. As I said, I've only seen one, and it was several years ago and I wasn't really paying attention to that as I had several other awesome pieces I was viewing as well.

Touche.

Then I stand corrected on the Satin examples. As I said, I've only seen one, and it was several years ago and I wasn't really paying attention to that as I had several other awesome pieces I was viewing as well.

Sounds like quite a group of coins you were viewing.