• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on this Franklin

11 posts in this topic

This is an extremely clean example. I don't see any contact marks, just what appears to be bag rub on the dome of Franklin. I believe this is a 66 at the minimum and higher depending on luster. Hard to tell if it's a FBL because of the shadows. I don't see any breaks due to hits. Knowing your collecting habits, I would say it's a FBL or as close as you can get to it.

66 no fbl

+1

Wouldn't be surprised to see a + next to that 66 based on the exceptionally clean fields of the obverse.

Nice pick up (thumbs u

You realize that a 66 FBL is a $50k or $60k coin, right?
Not really, but you could make one yourself and even if it were worth 60k, it may have only cost you $100 to make that coin. Anyhow, post some pictures showing the bell lines brother! Don't be all shady here!! lol

Looks like a solid 65+, very likely 66. I don't think 66+ is in the cards for this one. The fields are very clean, but too much chatter around the ear, high points of the mulett-sideburn, and the shoulder. Very nice looking coin. No way it's an FBL in its NGC holder, not even by PCGS lax standards. (thumbs u

Good guesses everyone! The coin is graded 66+ (and I think that is a good grade for it).

I viewed this coin at the Heritage auction lot viewing at FUN. In hand, I immediately knew this coin was special. The luster is blazing, the surfaces are incredibly pristine, and the strike is incredibly strong for a 53S. The bell lines are as full as you can get without being FBL. There is a slight merging on the bottom set of lines that will preclude the FBL designation, but the top lines are complete and bold (incredibly unusual for this date). Would it get FBL at PCGS if I submitted it enough times? Possibly - but probably not. I paid $528 for this coin - but if the bell lines were just a hair stronger, this would be a $60K+ coin. I'll take it!