• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic mail problems again.

7 posts in this topic

For reasons of security and privacy, many of us don't wish to receive blatantly obvious numismatic mail at our home address. Especially mail that announces in words or in pictures to anyone who sees it that valuable rare coins are involved.

Recently among the worst offenders are the US Mint and Heritage Auctions, both guilty of plain stubborn stupidity, and wasteful mailings, when it comes to this issue.

If you're on this NGC forum and reading this post, you can easily receive all ads and announcements from the Mint and Heritage by email. But even if you're signed up to receive their frequent emails, as I am, they both persist in mailing their colorful flyers with large coin pictures. Even though I've repeatedly asked them both to stop doing it.

With the mint, you can call customer service, and ask to be removed from their mailing list. And they will, with a lag time of about a month, before the mailings stop. However, if you ever order anything from them, even on-line, you will automatically be added again to the paper mailing list, it is set up that way. Every time you place an order, you have to call them back as soon as the order is processed, to ask them again to remove you.

Heritage is worse. My requests to be removed from from their mailing list have been ignored, the mail keeps coming, such as oversized postcards with color coin pictures. Even though I've called them and emailed them to stop. Even though I also get an email message from them almost every day about coins.

In this regard, they are both dumb and inconsiderate, plus they are wasting their resources and funds in sending out these unwanted mailings, which jeopardize our security, and can lead to us being targeted.

If anyone here knows Steve Ivy or Jim Halperin of Heritage, please bring their attention to this issue.

Many thanks Mark, I've just emailed them the following brief message:

Hello Steve & Jim,

Those of us who receive email announcements from Heritage often do not want to also receive the same information by regular mail.

For reasons of security and privacy, we don't wish to receive blatantly numismatic U.S. mail.

Plus it is a flagrant waste of Heritage's money and resources in sending out those unwanted mails.

I've tried to stop the mailings by calling and emailing Heritage's customer service, but they have failed to honor my requests.

Please do something about this. Thanks and regards,

I omitted to mention both in my original post and in my email letter to Steve Ivy and Jim Halperin that even for persons not using email for numismatic purposes, regular mailings about rare or valuable coins should be sent inside an ordinary envelope or plain wrapper, not announcing the subject to anyone who sees it. It's disrespectful to clients to do otherwise.

The local hardware stores carry plain brown wrappers perfect for coin collectors. Pop one of these over your head and you'll be completely anonymous as you head to a club meeting or coin show. (Best to cut a small hole for vision and fresh air….)

Quite a few years ago, I received a $2000 order from the US Mint. The package was too big for the mailbox, so the carrier just laid it at the front door and didn't even bother to ring the doorbell. That was when I decided to get a PO box. Now, all of my mail goes there.

Chris