• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camera choices

19 posts in this topic

Is it possible to get a camera that can be tethered to the computer for a couple of hundred bucks? Which models would be recomended?

When using the monitor as the viewfinder and imaging toned coins, does this help get the color to show better? I ask because I would think you would not have to take as many photos to get a good one

I'd recommend buying a used Canon XS. It is 10MP, and is one of Canon's first cameras with EFSC and Live View, so tethers nicely to a computer. I've been using a T2i but also use the XS, and for web-sized images (800x800) you don't really miss the extra MP of the later cameras. You can buy body-only cameras for under $200. For a lens, you can pick up an enlarger lens for <$30, some extensions for <$15, and adapters for <$10, all on eBay.

I took these shots with my XS:

5xMM_zps67aa9535.jpg

IMG_0416_01_01.jpg

Prepper... please don't think that you'll get images of that quality your first time out. It takes a lot of practice even with the right equipment. So don't get discouraged if your first results are quite a bit less than what you see above. I can definitely tell that Mr RPM is an accomplished photographer.

Dude,

I'm aghast that you would even doubt the abilities of anything I touch. I have the midas touch, most of the coins I photo come out with a yellow cast to them, haha. I understand fully how hard it is, just trying to make it all on me, not the equipment. Thanks though, I think

If you have a canon, it comes with a cable that can be plugged into the USB port of any computer. When you use it with Canon EOS Utility (included with the camera as well), you can use live view and see what you are imaging.

When you choose a body for sale, make sure it comes with the software disk. The disk has the Canon EOS utility on it, which allows you to tether the camera to your computer. Without the disk you are SOL because you can only download updates from the Canon Website, not the original application.

Mr RPM, not so true. The updates are actually the full program, you just have to merge some code into your registry to make your computer think that you are upgrading and not fresh installing. I've done this because when I purchased my body it did not have the disc with it. I will say, it's a lot easier to do with the disc I'm sure as I was about to pull my hair out trying to figure out the registry patch.

Thanks Ankur, I've already started my search for a body.

You can buy a preowned one. At the end of the day, the lens is more important the the body. I bought an XSi on ebay for around $300.

Canon has made several types of software. My Canon is USB to the PC and I can make adjustments to settings and take the shot with the mouse. With my version of the software, I can only see the image on the PC, after it is taken. Takes about a second to show up. The newer software lets you see the image in real time on the screen, before you take the shot. I hope to change my software but I'm not sure what version I really need.

Be sure to buy the right lens the first time. It's the most important part to quality images. Something between 100mm and 150mm, with macro is a great choice. I know this blows the price you wish to spend but it would be good money spent in the long run.

If you have a canon, it comes with a cable that can be plugged into the USB port of any computer. When you use it with Canon EOS Utility (included with the camera as well), you can use live view and see what you are imaging.

This is what I use and I find it immensely helpful. You can essentially see previews of your images on your computer screen before you take the image. For me, it’s been a much better than using only my camera and later noticing that the images are slightly out of focus when I load them onto my computer…

I'm looking at used on the bay. just need to figure out which models will tether

All the Canon DSLR's with Live View can be tethered and allow you to watch the image live on the computer screen for focusing and setting exposure.

Here's a link on Wikipedia comparing all the Canon EOS mount cameras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras