• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clifton coin show was a bust, but....

9 posts in this topic

So I went to a coin show in Clifton NJ. It was very small and even smaller than Parsippany. They didn't have anything that I was looking for. I went with the hopes of finding a nice Franklin or Morgan dollar form one of these dealers.

Nothing, but that's when I met up with Ankur who just in a small box had a much better, more attractive collection than most of these guys. He had a Morgan that was really attractive to me, so I pulled the trigger :) Any pics that I have do not do this coin justice at all. The blue is amazing! Thanks Ankur!!

1887morgandollarms63cac.jpg

1887morgandollarms63cac.jpg

The Clifton show is a pretty interesting (weird?) show. On the whole, it seems to attract a crowd that is rather down-market compared to Parsippany.

Today was a bit of an off day, as there were several empty tables, however.

There's not much quality material at the Clifton show, except for some world/ancient coins. There's also a guy who sells postage at 80% of face - somewhat to my surprise, he doesn't seem to get many customers for the postage.

Several of the dealers who attend Clifton also attend Parsippany, so if you happen to like them, you can get better access to their tables at Clifton.

However, what makes the Clifton show interesting is that many of the heavy-hitter dealers who do the Parsippany show walk the floor at the Clifton show, so if you know who they are, you can get to see their material.

Overall, I think that the Clifton dealers save their better material for the dealers who walk the floor.

edited to add: a dealer friend of mine used to prefer the other third-Sunday-of-the-month show, which I think is in Bridgewater. I've never been, so I can't comment.

I did notice the Ancients, and those were pretty cool. Apparently, he's well known for them (dlr far right). Once I attend a few shows, I'll start recognizing people.