• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pidcock's Tiger Conder Token

16 posts in this topic

I have collected Pidcock’s (London, England) Conder tokens for almost 5 years and anyone who had ever dabbled with this series knows that you almost never see the tiger. As seen here:

tiger-1.jpg

tiger-2.jpg

This elusive design only appears on the reverse of two Pidcock’s tokens, the DH418 and the DH436, with an elephant and a rhino on each obverse. Both tokens are listed as common yet I have never seen one offered for sale. If you have one that you are sick of looking at please let me know.

If you want the tiger on the obverse you have five choices, the DH441 and 441a (two-headed cow on the reverse) the DH442 and 442a (ostrich reverse) and the DH443 (eagle with rays reverse). Two are RR (if you ever find one you can’t afford it), and two are RRR (you will never see one if you live to be a hundred). Which leaves the DH442 as the only affordable option.

Which I finally found and won in a recent Stack’s auction. Ex Jerry Bobbe Collection. A very sharp strike with fantastic details. With an old collector number painted on the obverse which I think gives it character and stays. And I finally got the tiger.

The tiger. :)

Pretty token, not sure what you are referring to 'Condor', do you mean Conder?

These tokens were named after James Conder with an 'e'.

Best, HT

Posted while enjoying an alcoholic beverage, which apparently affects my spelling. :whistle:

Some Conder collectors used to paint or etch their collector number on their tokens to insure that they could prove that the token was indeed theirs if they displayed their collection to the public.

Tokens were also coated with varnish which kept them from tarnishing.

Pretty token, not sure what you are referring to 'Condor', do you mean Conder?

These tokens were named after James Conder with an 'e'.

Best, HT

Posted while enjoying an alcoholic beverage, which apparently affects my spelling. :whistle:

No worries (thumbs u

$950 for a $300 coin is obscene, but if he gets a buyer at that outrageous price then he wins.

What's the markup on a $300 coin sold for $950, about 300% profit?

Maybe I just had good parents but I'm more than happy with a 20% profit when selling a coin. Especially if I like the buyer. We do this for fun, right? :)

$950 for a $300 coin is obscene, but if he gets a buyer at that outrageous price then he wins.

Maybe I just had good parents but I'm more than happy with a 20% profit when selling a coin. Especially if I like the buyer. We do this for fun, right? :)

You mean .... some collect for a profit? Brilliant! :idea:

Actually I agonize over the sale of most of my coins when it comes to that time. Of course I have made money, but then collecting is more a social outlet for me rather than a for profit motive (and it might explain a lot of things lol)

It depends on what he paid for it. He may be looking for an ungodly mark-up, or it may be a case of "the greater fool theory" and he has a reasonable mark-up but he is looking for a greater fool than he was.