• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed for type set

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm in the process of assembling a rainbow toned 20th century type set. Before I start spending lots of money on coins, I'd like to learn as much as possible. I have David Lange's "Assembling the Ideal 20th Century Type Set" as well as David Bowers' book on type coins. Are there any other books you fine folks would recommend? Additionally, if you have worked on a similar set yourself, are there any nuggets of advice you may like to add? I welcome any and all commentary.

thanks so much for reading,

Ryan

PS http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=12169

is what I have put together so far.

Looks like you have a great start there. And, welcome to our friendly neighborhood.

Not sure on books, but it would be nice to get in touch and get to know certain dealers who know what they are doing in this realm and know what to look for in an AT coin.

I would recommend such board members like Kryptonitecomics, DimeFreak, Robec1347, and then you have the Peace Dollar color fiends out there... I'm sure they'll respond shortly!!

Wishing you the best with your set.

Thanks

Looks like you have a great start there. And, welcome to our friendly neighborhood.

Not sure on books, but it would be nice to get in touch and get to know certain dealers who know what they are doing in this realm and know what to look for in an AT coin.

I would recommend such board members like Kryptonitecomics, DimeFreak, Robec1347, and then you have the Peace Dollar color fiends out there... I'm sure they'll respond shortly!!

Wishing you the best with your set.

Thanks so much for your response. That is an excellent suggestion and I will see what I can do.

Thanks much,

Ryan

I too am working on a type set, and trying to select coins based on color. I've chosen 19th and 20th centuries and am open to most color coins, not exclusively rainbows. My biggest tip is to take your buying process slowly and learn about each type before buying anything of consequence.

I personally would not pay moon money for any one coin in the set unless you think you can buy equivalent coins in the other series. It's nice to have a well-matched set.

Because I am not being exclusive to one type of toning pattern, I have bought some inexpensive coins only to find one later with much nicer color and upgraded. I am ok with this kind of slow process and getting to a completion point is not exactly necessary for me. It may be different for you. If you are cautious about upgrading, I would be very careful about "settling" for a coin you are not entirely happy with. Wait for exactly what you are looking for and then pounce. You will end up saving money in the long run and be happier. (for me this approach doesn't work as I'd rather lose money while cycling through more coins and learning more in the process.)

I will echo recommendations already given as far as which members tend to be quite interested in color coins.

Hope you are having fun and welcome to the boards!!

I've specialized in type coins for a bazillion years and have also been a big fan of naturally toned coins during that period, too. Here are some pointers-

* The coinage of 1947-1958, exclusive of 1950, will be the most rich vein for business strike issues with great color. The US Mint produced double US Mint Sets during those years and the paper and cardboard packaging resulted in many coins with outstanding color while of course the majority are neurtral or negatively toned.

* Clad coinage will generally not tone in the same patterns or colors as silver coinage and many of the nicest clad coins, in terms of color, will take on pastel tones of violet or orange from storage in Dansco type holders.

* Don't ignore proof pieces! Coins like proof Barber dimes and quarters might not cost all that much more than business strike pieces, yet can have intense colors.

* Be patient. The best coins rarely fall out of a tree all at one time in a basket at your feet.

* Be selective. Somewhat similar to the above, but keep in mind that there are literally tens of thousands of coins from the double Mint Set era to inspect.

* Good luck and have fun.