• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will we become label collectors?

8 posts in this topic

With the advent of all the labels the Coin Vault and grading services are pushing, can an MS 69 or 70 in one label be more expensive than another label?

To me, of course a 69 is a 69 and a 70 is a 70, so why all the labels?

I still don't understand why a First Strike or Early Release should be any more of value than any other coin in the same grade.

It's all fishy to me, what about you?

It's no different then a star or prooflike designation, why are they valued at more than the next higher grade? Because collector's are willing to pay just about anything to be in the "I own the top pop or the one of only a few known club". I think that we need to be more realistic on pricing for all of these designation coins, including all of the FS #'s from the Cherry Pickers Guide.

Part of it is trying to create rarity for coins that are being minted in the tens of millions and more. If they can create scarcity/rarity by slicing 40 million coins into a smaller piece, they can create value.

The question becomes whether that value holds in the market place over the years?

It's no different then a star or prooflike designation, why are they valued at more than the next higher grade?

Your comparison is just plain wrong. Star designated coins have exceptional eye appeal that may represent exceptional luster, semi-prooflike fields, eye appealing toning, or other special characteristics. Similarly, prooflike coins are the true "first strikes" that come of the die and they are qualitatively different than other strikes . They often have sharper strikes, and they have highly reflective mirrors. In short, the PL and * designations represent differences in quality of the underlying coin; the labels that are referenced in the original post do not represent differences in quality of the coin itself. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

Kenny,

Thank you. But I think I confused everyone including myself. I was trying to say that I do not agree with the pricing structure of the star or prooflike coins, what makes a MS 66* or PL worth more than a MS 67 ? The 67 is a higher grade according to the standard so the* or PL should be more than the regular grade but less than the next highest. The perfect example of this is when they structured the grades for proof coins. The PR coins are less than the Cameo and the cameos are less than the Deep Cameos in any grade.

Tom G

I think that the advent of the labels are for the good of the grading company and the coin deales, for the love of making money, first striks, early release, ets, are just to make money, star labels , proof like labels i think are OK. Don