• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 Barber Half GTG

11 posts in this topic

The grade on the slab depends on whether the hazing developed after or before it was put in the slab. I would recommend sending it to NCS, and have them remove it - the mirrors will shine if you do. As is, I'd grade it PR-62 or 63, depending on how many hairlines are present.

The obverse tells me incredible strike, the reverse yells proof. There seems to be some disturbance on the obverse to the lower right of the bust. I'm betting that's some of the haze. I still believe that with the smoky haze it's a PR64. Not enough contrast for cameo IMO with or without the haze.

PR65 but I think it needs a bath.

I tend to like original coins, but I agree here. The toning and haze doesn't do much for me.

I like original as well, but that haze looks like it's approaching the point of environmental damage when it will be irreparable.

It's in a PCGS PR65 slab. The pic is an accurate representation of the coin straight on, but when you tilt it just so, and the light catches the mirrors, a vast array of colors radiate from the fields. I tried taking a pic of it, but the light always ends up in the reflection.

It's in a PCGS PR65 slab. The pic is an accurate representation of the coin straight on, but when you tilt it just so, and the light catches the mirrors, a vast array of colors radiate from the fields. I tried taking a pic of it, but the light always ends up in the reflection.

Very nice Barber. If I had seen the light catching the mirrors as you describe, I would be very tempted to see if NCS could remove the haze and clearly expose the underlying beauty.

Carl

Very nice Barber. If I had seen the light catching the mirrors as you describe, I would be very tempted to see if NCS could remove the haze and clearly expose the underlying beauty.

Carl

+1

Here are some quick snaps I took from my phone. tried to capture the light, but not too successful. The only way i could kinda capture the color left the mirrors looking dull, when they actually shine. I'm just afraid to send it to NCS. This is one of my top coins. What if they scratch it? Do you think it will lose the colors?

1904a_zps842f8997.jpg1904b_zps62e34e5c.jpg1904c_zps1546f9cc.jpg