• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone help with a possible Morgan VAM?

4 posts in this topic

I've been trying to learn a little about VAM's, so I decided to take a look at one of my Morgans. I checked an 1883 CC MS64DMPL and I used VAM world as a reference. I don't know alot about VAM, so I'm wondering a couple things. Does it add value? Is it possible to have only a couple of the characteristics? I saw that there were a few differen't variations, but the closest are below. For the VAM3A, I'm having trouble seeing the ST clash. I do see the clash on the neck though.

1883-CC VAM-3 Dash Under 8, Doubled 8, Slanted CC

1883-CC VAM-3A Dash Under 8, Slanted CC, Clashed Obverse n & st

What I see on mine: To me, it looks like the first 8 is doubled, but it's really hard to get a good picture of it with what I'm using. For the dash under the second 8; I'm not sure about this because just next to it is another mark. The CC on the reverse is slanted. My pictures aren't great, but I just wanted to give to an idea of what I see. If it qualifies, do I just leave as is or is it worth sending somewhere? Thanks!!

Doubled 8

1883ccvamdoubledfirst8.jpg

dash under 8

1883ccvamdashunder8.jpg

Obverse clash

1883ccvamobverseclash.jpg

Clanted CC

1883ccvamslantedcc.jpg

The "st" clash takes a lot of getting used to in order to see it. Sometimes, it will just be a small segment and you have to tilt the coin around to see it. I won't be able to help you, but maybe John (Messydesk) will chime in.

Some VAM's can add considerable value while others aren't much different from a common doubled die in any other series.

:signofftopic:

The dash under the third "8" was placed on the die intentionally at the Mint to ensure the correct alignment of the date after the transition from 1879 to 188x. Sometimes it was polished out and sometimes it wasn't. One of the more significant examples of the dash is the 1885-CC VAM-4 Doubled Dash, and it carries a fair premium over a normal 1885-CC.

Chris

Try VAM 5A. The appearance of the clash at Liberty's neck looks like a match. Also, it looks like the die was damaged at the denticles below the first 8.

This variety doesn't carry any premium over a plain old 83-CC, as it is not rare.