• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941 penny

4 posts in this topic

I know there is a lot of information online about the 43 penny but I can't find a lot about the 41. What I have come across is a brass colored penny dated 1941 d, it is in mint condition, not polished, it is magnetic to 360 degrees. I have noted that the steel penny was not minted until 43, however this piece is not copper. Does anyone have any information on what this coin could be?

It is quite possibly minted from a blank that was meant for a foreign country. The US Mint minted many many coins for different countries. I used to have a list by date and composition but not sure what I did with it. Wonder if someone might have that list that can help out.

1941 cents made from January to approximately April will have the same composition as 1940 cents - 95% copper, 3-4% zinc and 1-2% tin. After April the composition should be 95% copper, 4.9% zinc and 0.1% tin - they were to have enough tin to be detectible and thus comply with law.

The only experimental pieces recorded for 1941 were cents made of stainless steel, and brass of 75% copper 25% zinc. 48 grains weight. Philadelphia Mint dies only.

Your Denver mint coin was likely struck on a foreign planchet, so check with Fred Weineberg or other error expert first.

Weakly magnetic? Strongly magnetic? You say it is magnetic to 360 degrees, what does that mean? Magnetic all around the rim? What about in the center? Or did you bake it to 360 degrees and it was still magnetic?