• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for some diversity. Need some recommendations.

19 posts in this topic

Since there 's so much diversity in collections here; I thought it would be a great place to ask you all your opinion on diversifying a collection. I'm going to continue on my path to completing a Franklin and Morgan set which will probably take me years, but I'd like to be able to make a few purchases in between and there's so much out there to chose from.

I don't have a huge budget, and I'm still learning, so I probably want to stay away from coins that are starting off at $500+ even in low grades, but I also want earlier dates. Can any of you recommend some coin types that I might be interested in and reasonable in most grades?

Thanks!!

Thanks Dwaine. I don't know too much about type sets. Is that basically 1 date with all different variations? After a quick google, that's how I'm seeing it. Correct me if I've mis-interpreted.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Where would you even start with that one? Just pick a coin with several variations?

Well you can do it several ways but generally as stated above it is one of every type of coin. You can limit it to centuries or all coins.

I am working on one looking at VF graded coins that are toned.

do a slabbed type set and get both ngc and pcgs......thats diversity right there

+1 and slow down with your purchases until you gain some knowledge.

Gaining more every day thanks to this place! Just sticking to what I like, already graded and definitely a budget because it's too easy to pull the trigger.

Thanks guys. Hope you all enjoy your weekend!

Dansco 7070 is a lot of fun!

If you want to stick to a series, do capped bust halves. Many PQ mid grade examples are very affordable.

Ankur

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I would recommend you stick to lower priced, slabbed coins for now, until you build your knowledge and experience, but your enthusiasm and passion are fantastic!

Another vote for a Dansco 7070 Type Set... try to do VF35 to XF45 in the older coins with nice original surfaces... buy PCGS/NGC graded and crack them out. But make sure to keep the labels and glue-stick them to the back cover of the album just in case...

Another vote for a Dansco 7070 Type Set... try to do VF35 to XF45 in the older coins with nice original surfaces... buy PCGS/NGC graded and crack them out. But make sure to keep the labels and glue-stick them to the back cover of the album just in case...

I would also include ANACS and IGC if you are going to crack them out.