• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Franky and a couple of raw Morgans for your thoughts.

9 posts in this topic

And, VAM them if you like... and for you Chris, I have large photos of any section of the coin you'd like to see!

The Franky is quite prooflike in the field to the left of the obverse. In the photo I deaccentuated that so you can see the die polish lines. I did that especially for Jason's edification.

1963sm_zps060128b5.jpg

This 21 Morgan is quite pleasing. Reverse toning from 5 to 7 on the reverse. Should be easy to VAM with the crack on the reverse in OF AMERICA.

1921sm_zpsae0b280e.jpg

This 1890 has quite interesting toning on the obverse. I'd like to come up with a nice color name for the obverse to make it more exciting for you, so I'm going to call this one RUSSET!!! Don't be correcting me either, I'm a man and I only know the default windows 16 colors! :D

1890sm_zpsd27d0303.jpg

Lastly the one I like the most. This 79-S has some really super peripheral toning. The fields I would call semi prooflike. I've already exerted myself fully with the color selection above so I won't even try with this one! Enjoy. Yea, I know, I said a couple and it's really a few!

1879ssm_zps57734367.jpg

I'll say Franklin is an MS 64 with 2 hits on the reverse and weakness in the center of the bell lines.

The Dollars are : 1921 MS 64+

1890 MS 65

1879 S MS 64 (maybe PL) it's close.

I think I am mistaking die polish lines for contact marks; thus, I am going to give the Franklin the benefit of the doubt and call it MS65. It has a shot at FBL from PCGS (which considers only the bottom bell lines); but no FBL designation at NGC.

1921 Morgan MS65

1890 Morgan Dollar MS64 - although the surfaces are clean, the luster looks muted on the obverse and toning creates somewhat negative eye appeal; together, these hold the coin back from gem status.

1879-S Morgan Dollar MS63 - fields may be PL or semi-PL but I cannot adequately assess the depth of the mirrors from this photograph (or any other photograph for that matter).

I would grade the first three MS-64 and the 1879-S Morgan dollar MS-63. The excessive number of marks in the left field of the 1879-S, in front of Ms. Liberty's face cost this coin one or two grading points.

From the perspective of marks, the 1890 Morgan dollar looks better, but the coin is dull. For that reason the coin is not better than MS-64. The 1890 Morgan dollar is a very scarce coin in high grade because the coin is almost always lack luster as it was issued from the mint. It is a common date overall, but very scarce in Gem Uncirculated condition.

For me, I would have to grade the first three at 64. I fully agree with Bill in the fact that especially the obverse of the 90 is lackluster. Wasn't sure if the toning was what cause the lack of luster so thanks for that tidbit of information Bill. Greatly appreciate your insight. I do believe that the 79 S is a 63. The marks to the on the left side of the obverse are very evident even though they aren't incredibly horrible, but the fact is they are more visible because of the semi to PL mirrors. I believe this coin could easily go PL but again on any given day it could come back in a non PL holder.