• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There are lot of Indian Head Collectors.

7 posts in this topic

I been buying and selling coins just as a hobby, not really interested in any certain type.

My brother in law got me involved a few years ago in coins, but I just never could decide If I wanted to collect any certain coins. Well I noticed when I went to Auctions and Coin shows I usually was buying Indian heads and some Barber halfs. So I decided to start collecting indian head cents and I am amazed at the amount of people collecting Indian heads.

I keep finding a lot of web sites just for indian heads. I guess that is good though to have people wanting them which keeps up the demand. I really noticed it in the Fun sales.

I plan on buying at least AU and higher, when the pocket book allows it. smile.gif

I know Mike meant any "nicer" coins to collect. Personally I was bit with the first AU I purchased 20 years ago, a virus that remained dormant until I bought an NGC 67RD in the 1990s on a whim. I wish all the IH collectors would go away so the prices would go back to what I paid for that 67.

It's hard to explain why a certain series gets into your blood, but I'm at the point where I'll travel 1,000's of miles just to see a few really nice ones. If you told me I'd now be doing that 5 years ago I never would have believed you.

Personally I was bit with the first AU I purchased 20 years ago, a virus that remained dormant until I bought an NGC 67RD in the 1990s on a whim.

Paul,

Did they have you at hello?

wink.gif

EVP

Yikes leaving an R off of one word sure makes a difference in the meaning of a thought. Thanks for pointing that out. IMHO opinion these cents are so full of history and beauty and interesting varieties that they dwarf the other series I collect. I spent two hours today just yapping about them with the Indiana President of the Fly In Club.

Wouldn't you already have a "leg-up" so to speak, collecting Indian heads, if you were an Indian? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever why more Native Americans wouldn't collect Indian head coins. Then again, if collecting Indian head coins float your boat, wouldn't the next logical step be to collect actual Indian heads? Have any Indian head collectors actually had the urge to pursue their area of interest to that next gruesome, yet logical step?

I suspect most Native Americans would be put off by the white lady in headdress as it appears on the coin. Putting myself in their shoes, it's just another example of their culture being twisted to fit another culture's needs. I confess to being much more shallow and just love their overall look.

EVP -- yes, they had me at hello. Unfortunately, then the dealers started saying "show me the money".