• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roman Empire Coins?

10 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Is their someone out their that collects Roman Empire Ancients? I would like to get some advice. I am thinking of a collection of all Roman Emperors. I am guessing around a 35 coin set, give or take..

I have a few Roman and medieval coins (they are not my forte) but I can tell you most ancient collectors do not get their coins slabbed. As for the Roman Emperors that is a common theme however you do have a job ahead of you in deciding what versions of their coins to collect as they have many different varieties, metals, mints, moniers and values. It's an interesting way to learn some fasinating history. Good luck with your quest.

Thank you for the reply CyberspaceVoid...Yes, I do have some homework ahead of me. The few Ancient coins I have are slabbed and IMO, I believe the tides will change as far as slabbing of ancient coins...Why else would the grading companies have started this practice? Not trying to be confrontational just my opinion...I will start studying on what variety I should focus on as far as the Roman Empire coins are concerned.

If I were to start a serious Roman Empire collection I think I would base it off of De vita Caesarum written by Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus in 121 AD. In English translations it is known as The Twelve Caesars ... nothing like a little organization and background :)

If I were to start a serious Roman Empire collection I think I would base it off of De vita Caesarum written by Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus in 121 AD. In English translations it is known as The Twelve Caesars ... nothing like a little organization and background :)

Good Idea...I have heard that that is where a lot of people start.Thank you for the advice...Some of those are quite expensive...I guess if it were not a challenge it would not be worth it....

Panda Man,

Nothing against NGC forums but their Ancients forum has very low traffic. If you want advice and to learn more about collecting ancient Roman coins check out these 2 forums:

FORVM ANCIENT COINS -

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php

CoinTalk World and Ancient Coins Forum -

http://www.cointalk.com/f11/

You will find more traffic and posters at those forums relating to collecting ancient Roman coins.

I've been lurking around here waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I'm considering taking a break from my usual collectibles (comic books) and maybe going for some ancient coins.

Thanks, tenacious, for the links. There's a thread going on right now over at the forumancientcoins about the pros and cons of slabbing ancient coins.

Interesting stuff!