• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Type 1 SLQ -- GRADE REVEALED AT END OF THREAD

24 posts in this topic

I'm looking for defects and I just don't see any. I don't see rub, so I'm with Jason on 66, but I think it just missed FH. I would like to see larger photos of the head so that we can see the ear detail.

Very nice SLQ. All key areas look very strong. If pics show accurate color, the toning is very natural and appealing. Just a minor nick below"T". Easy MS66. As Coindude said, without a close up of the head, not sure about FH. But it sure looks like FH.

Carl

I'm looking for defects and I just don't see any. I don't see rub, so I'm with Jason on 66, but I think it just missed FH. I would like to see larger photos of the head so that we can see the ear detail.

Here's a close-up of the head detail:

1917_Type1_SLQ_PCGS_GTG_closeup_head_zps7d4b9f8c.jpg

Based on the close up, for this date, not FH.

Carl

I'm with Carl on this, close but no cigar. It wouldn't absolutely shock me if it did have the designation as I've seen similar in FH holders, but to me it just misses. Super nice coin though.

I don’t think the coin is FH however as coindude mentioned I have also seen similar in FH holders so I am on the fence.

Solid MS 66 but I could see it in a MS 67 holder .

Nice looking coin regardless.

Very nice SLQ. All key areas look very strong. If pics show accurate color, the toning is very natural and appealing. Just a minor nick below"T". Easy MS66. As Coindude said, without a close up of the head, not sure about FH. But it sure looks like FH.

Carl

Hi Carl, thanks for your comments.

Just as a quick follow up...the color/toning is accurate in the pictures on my monitor (I just took these images tonight). In hand, the obverse has an almost gold very light toning, and the reverse has at the top an almost steel-blue or platinum tinge (very slight) while the bottom part has the same nice soft gold tones. I hope that describes what you're seeing on your monitor.

Thanks for all the guesses and comments so far. Regardless of what the holder says, I'm very happy with this coin in hand.

Keep 'em coming! :)

-Brandon

Carl

Hi Carl, thanks for your comments.

Just as a quick follow up...the color/toning is accurate in the pictures on my monitor (I just took these images tonight). In hand, the obverse has an almost gold very light toning, and the reverse has at the top an almost steel-blue or platinum tinge (very slight) while the bottom part has the same nice soft gold tones. I hope that describes what you're seeing on your monitor.

Thanks for all the guesses and comments so far. Regardless of what the holder says, I'm very happy with this coin in hand.

Keep 'em coming! :)

-Brandon

The comment "regardless what the holder says" makes me think the grade is much lower then what we guessed. Dont tell me someone gave this an MS 64 !!! :grin:

Coindude you gave the FH description for the Type II .

Here is the description for a Type 1 , it is more basic because of the different detail in the head on the type 1’s due to the lack of Olive Leafs and ear indentation that you will see in the Type II .

Definite line separating Liberties hair from her temple, her cheekbone and her throat.

The 1917 date will usually show the head as full and raised.

Coindude you gave the FH description for the Type II .

Here is the description for a Type 1 , it is more basic because of the different detail in the head on the type 1’s due to the lack of Olive Leafs and ear indentation that you will see in the Type II .

Definite line separating Liberties hair from her temple, her cheekbone and her throat.

The 1917 date will usually show the head as full and raised.

Thanks for the correction there Mark! Greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for the replies and guesses of grade. The "full head" status of the piece is certainly controversial it seems. Some of the confusion comes from the difference between FH designation of Type 1 pieces versus later Type 2 pieces. On the type 1 there are no leaves, and there is no ear hole, so those requirements are irrelevant. As pointed out by Mark T above, Type 1 pieces are assigned the full head designation essentially if the hair line is complete and separates the forehead, face, and neck throughout.

My impression of this piece is that if it were a 1916, it would get the FH designation with no complaints. I have see FAR weaker pieces from 1916 get the designation. The 1917 pieces are known for being absolutely hammered for head detail, and this one is certainly not hammered. It is also a far cry from the "scooped" or "smashed" head looks commonly seen on later date SLQs. In the end, PCGS did assign the "FH" designation.

The luster, toning, and strike are accurately depicted in my images. I have done nothing "tricky", I do not adjust saturation, nor do I tilt the coins into the light (alla PCGS TrueView images). It's a very appealing coin in hand, with booming luster and (to my eye) very attractive original toning.

Now to the point of the numerical grade. I do honestly think this coin is conservatively graded at MS64. There are essentially no distracting marks in hand except the small hit under the "T" in "TRUST" on the obverse. There is a bit of chatter in the "IN GOD" text, but the detail throughout the coin is quite sharp. The reverse is essentially mark free, with just the slightest bit of spotting at 7-o'clock over to about 4-o'clock near the rim.

In closing, I would like to put a shout out to "rexcat" (Paul B). I picked up this beautiful coin on the BST here on the NGC site. Paul was very easy to work with, very flexible with my holiday schedule (he held the coin for me for about 2 weeks), and he has some great looking coins in his type set that he is currently selling. To Paul I give a big (thumbs u

Here is the coin image with the PCGS label:

1917_Type1_SLQ_PCGS_MS64FH_composite_zps338ff73e.jpg

I think if you cracked this out and re submitted you should get no less than MS 65 without a FH designation. You should submit this to CAC.

+1

If resale is your motive, then I would definitely shoot for a CAC gold sticker. If not, enjoy it for what it is: a very PQ and eye appealing example of a beautifully designed coin.