• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893-p Morgan...Grade? Will NCS help?

12 posts in this topic

I'm still getting the hang of my new camera. It seems to only want to focus in on parts of the coin instead of the whole. So I am going to post numerous pics to help solve my question. I tried playing with the sharpness setting in post to help focus. One of the clearest fields I've seen on a Morgan. What is your opinion on the grade as-is, & do you think NCS attention to the milky spot on the cheek will help it?

IMG_4741-1_zps965092f9.jpgIMG_4737_zps23f328b5.jpgIMG_4733_zps99a227e1.jpg

IMG_4681_zps5bc17c98.jpgIMG_4727_zps4ff69ac4.jpgIMG_4726_zpsd674033b.jpgIMG_4724_zpsd947cabe.jpgIMG_4686_zps8159f8ff.jpgIMG_4747_zps57d96709.jpgIMG_4684_zps8963787a.jpg

Looking solely at the hair, it looks highly polished. Maybe someone else will give a contradictory analysis of the coin, but my opinion is polished and not worth much more than silver value if any. So, my opinion would be it's not worth sending in.

Sorry for the bad news.

What did they do to get rid of the hairlines & swirls often seen with whizzing/polishing?

I don't understand your question. The entire obverse is covered with the marks from whizzing. There is no way to remove these marks.

Tilt the coin – you will see small circular marks, as for the cheek that appears to be a putty job. Looks like the rest of the coin may have been puttied as well but it did not turn hazy.

Thank you guys for your input! You just saved me A LOT OF MONEY! The seller was pitching it as PR64 coin. I knew something didn't seem right. I told him I would think about it, and took some pictures to get some friend's opinions on it. He's 78 years old, and he had a few choice words about you guys after I called him this morning and declined; citing popular opinion. lol!

Thanks again for saving my tail! This one was really convincing in-hand!

Well, he kind of wow'd me by showing me some proof trade dollars he did have certified. He said he got them from the same collector as the morgan. Made him look legit for a second. He did mention he was an NGC member...I wonder if he is watching the boards, lol.