• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1995 - Small Date Silver Panda Question

4 posts in this topic

I have a 1995 Silver $10Y Panda I bought raw from APMEX and sent in to NGC back in 2009 that came back small tig/small date. I have since sold the coin and the buyer insists it is a large date and is sending the coin back - NGC labeling error. After looking at numerous other examples and two Panda sites for font type, etc. I still feel this is a small date, NGC and APMEX seemed to think so when sold and graded.

Any thoughts?

I found this on the web: Extend a line down the left stair edge through the "1" in the date. If the line touches the "1" or if the "1" is to the left of the line it is a Small date. If the "1" is inside of the line, to the right of it, the coin is a Micro.

1995pandashorttwigTest_zps0c5d9292.jpg

This is my coin:

T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOO2BQ6wvHYQ60_57_zpsbcb8944a.jpg

This has been a source of confusion for some time, even amongst collectors of Chinese coins.

There are 3 different types of 1995 silver pandas:

1) Large twig, large date

2) Small twig, large date

3) Small twig, micro date

NGC used to label both the small twig large date and small twig micro date as "Small twig, small date". NGC now correctly labels them as small twig, large date and small twig, small date (micro version)

The price difference btw the two small twigs is dramatic. A micro date can cost anywhere from $800 - $2000+, whereas the large date version is about $200 for a MS69.

Your coin is the small twig large date version and is mislabelled.

kind regards,

Chris

Thanks, based on this there are about 6 mislabelled ones out there for sale. I will realist as mislabelled and let someone else worry about getting it right with NGC.

I'm mostly disappointed that in 2009 @ purchase and in 2010 @ grading, the ball was dropped on this one.

Thanks!

Ok, so I relisted this coin as a small tig and stated the label could be worng. This time the decided to bid and then ask for retract - can't they read the clear description or the title? Geez