• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't drink and bid! posted by JoeFerentz

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

just saw a 1880 S MS65 go for over $900

It was on an online auction. I found this auction site when I started collecting and now frequently watch, bid, and win some coins offered during various auctions.

Today, this auction had several higher graded Morgans so I tossed out some bids on some NGC-graded MSDs (1880 S and 1881 S).

Then, as I watched, the 1880S MS65 with a green CAC sticker went for over nine bills. I was thinking...wtf?

I guess the beer and excitement of the auction took over because the next thing I knew I threw a stupid bid and won a 1880 S MS66* for more than I probably should have paid.

I really like auctions, but need to be careful as drinking too much beer can seem to dampen logic (despite having the Grey Sheet) and cause one too spend to much money for a nice looking coin.

12818.jpg

See more journals by JoeFerentz

Hi Joe, Individually beer and coin auctions are both good but the combo could be lethal. On the other hand that is a gorgeous rainbow toned Morgan you added to your collection! Congrats !! RichH

Sorry for the confusion. The pic is of the coin (1880S MS 65) that went for $900.

The coin I won can be seen here...https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?c=1920694

Hello Joe,

Drinking while entering a bidding war at coin auctions,is similar to

getting behind the wheel while drinking, It's An accident just waiting to

happen. You are going about it correctly now, Being aware of it!

Next time you attend an auction you'll be ready,mentally,,,lol' .

When a Auction has ended and your the winning bidder?

Then Celebrate with cheer. You'll feel better in the morning.

For what it's worth ' Congrats' on your winnings,,,,lol'

Joe,

My bad , I was posting from my ipod while watching the football game and didnt pick up on the holder, & misread. I probably shouldn't watch football and ipod post !!!!

RichH

Joe--don't feel too alienated, as we have ALL done it. I know that I have!! Beer has never caused me to overbid on a lot but it adds to my adrenaline rush while participating in an auction. I actually helps to CALM ME DOWN.

I once paid stupid money for a coin and I was stone cold sober!! I paid nearly double sheet. Guess what??? I STILL don't regret it, as the coin was a near gem and looked MUCH better than ANY gem that I'd seen. Gems are MORE than double sheet, so I look at it this way----I got a gem for much less than I should of. I buy the coin and not the holder as so often is suggested by the sage among us. :)