• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1848 Franklin. What grade do you think?

14 posts in this topic

Found a Franklin that was inexpensive ($20) and though I'd try my grading out. I'm no where near some of you, but I give it an MS grade, maybe 62. I can be way off, just let me know what you think and why. Be harsh, it's cool.

This coin confuses me a little and I'm sorry my pics aren't so good. I noticed that it still had a natural luster and some subtle toning, but at about 10:00, it looks like a finger print got in the way of toning? I don't think it's been cleaned, so would the oil from a print cause that? I also want to give this an FBL grade as I can see most of the lines in the bell. Agree? Thanks for your time.

48franklin1a.jpg

48franklin1b.jpg

48franklin1c.jpg

I also want to give this an FBL grade as I can see most of the lines in the bell. Agree? Thanks for your time.

48franklinfbl.jpg

And of course I meant 1948 ;) I'm thinking worst case, I overpaid by $5. I'll take a few small gambles on these until I can learn to properly grade, then focus on better dates/grades. My main focus will still be already graded until then.

It's FBL. Grade would probably be in the 62-3 range but the first picture actually makes me think it's been polished.

I can see what you nean. That could be the light and the angle. I was trying to capture the detail. The last image is from directly above.

Thanks guys.

It's FBL. Grade would probably be in the 62-3 range but the first picture actually makes me think it's been polished.

I can see what you nean. That could be the light and the angle. I was trying to capture the detail. The last image is from directly above.

Thanks guys.

That's what I had expected via the other pictures.

Thanks guys.

That's what I had expected via the other pictures.

Yeah, I'm looking to buy a decent camera one of these days. I've been looking, but the coin always wins!

Thanks for all of your opinions. I wanted to send it in to be graded, but I'm thinking if it's MS63-64 it's not going to be worth it. I was able to get a couple more pics and hopefully it'll help. All of the fields appear clean, but there are a hit under the eye, on cheek and a few in the hair. On the reverse; I think it's a super example of a FBL. Can you all take another look. If you think it's still a 63, I'll forget about it. Thanks again folks!!

1948frankie1.jpg1948frankie2.jpg

I'm new at this too, but think MS63 FBL. The line from lips to chin and the one from behind the eye to his double chin will keep it below a 64. Fields look very nice. I'd put it in an airtite and keep it! Great coin for only $20.