• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Camera Stand Is Cleaned Off by Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

...by moving all the stuff somewhere else.

Yes, I just moved the stuff I had on the camera stand somewhere else for now. I really have been wanting to take some pictures, so I guess I took the easy way out. Guess it doesn't really matter, until I get my basement fixed, there's going to be a mess up no matter what.

Anyway, I've taken a few pictures today, had a day off because Tuesday was my holiday to work. It was a nice sunny day here in SE Iowa, at first I thought I'd get out and about, but coins won in the end.

I really wanted to do 2 things today, update my collection in my software and take some pics. I'm happy to report both things were accomplished. I still have more to do, but I did get a very good start.

So, the first pics I took were of my 1843-O Liberty Seated Half Dollar. I must digress here for a minute; I will be the first to admit I would love to have the money to spend for high mint state grades for every coin I buy. But I'm not the federal government, I need to budget my money, I do have other interests besides coins, so I need to watch where my money goes. So, for coins at least, it has never bothered me to have good collector grades of the more expensive coins. By good collector grades I look at a range of VF20 to AU. The 1843-O Half I bought is graded VF30 and I paid $115 (with the buyer's premium for it). I can live with this. A MS60 by comparison is $720 according to Numismedia. While I won't win any #1 ranked type sets, I can live with that too. Anyway, I made my first combo pic, by combining both the obverse and reverse in one image. It is going to be my image of the entry today.

12803.jpg

See more journals by Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

Pics look great. I agree with you about budgets and pricing for coins.

I have started my 2013 primary collection - Flying Eagles Cents-- l am keeping to around XF 40 - 50. Anything higher, I am looking at giving my yearly income per needed MS coin.... Hopefully, someday, I could add a few MS Flying Eagle Coins.

Have fun

Jack

I actually really like that half. It has a LOT of detail for a VF30 coin, and I like the original surfaces with a nice patina skin! (thumbs u

Brian, I concur with the other opinions on the half and I'd be proud to own it. I also agree with your opinion on "Collector Grades". VF-20 and higher are the target grades I have for my 7070 Basic Type Set.

Gary

Brian, Well done on all accounts !! You can absolutely feel the history of this coin. Did it go to battle in the pocket of a confederate soldier? Maybe it went north and was carried by a Union warrior, endless possibilities. Thanks for sharing. RichH

First, thanks to all who commented. I do appreciate the nice comments. I try hard to get a true representation of the coin through my pictures. I'm not saying by any means I take perfect pictures, but I do feel my pictures show the coin as it is.

And to the comment from RichH, I bet we all wish our coins could talk to us. What stories could they tell?!!!!!!! I look at an 1881S Morgan and wonder if Doc or Wyatt had one in their pockets at the OK Corral. I guess this is why I love collecting (coins and other things) so much, it's the history behind them.

Again, thanks to all who took the time to leave a comment.