• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Detective -- Re-discovered Hawaii SC50C Error posted by DrDarryl

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Thick vs Thin => re-discovered error

I received 11 encapsulated medals/coins back from NGC. Of particular interest is the 1959 Hawaii Statehood SC50C Thick (aka Heraldic Art Medal). This so called 50 cent Thick variety has a mintage of 1,200 (while the thin variety has a mintage of 4,600). The thin was illegally made the same thickness as a standard silver half dollar.

I examined my MS 68 Thin to the newly arrived MS 68 thick. And I found that my thick had a 180 degree rotated reverse.

I did a quick check with other thick variety with those within the NGC registry (with pictures). I found one with the rotated reverse. I did also check a few NGC graded ones on eBay and found a normal reverse.

After more searching, I found a SC50C website. At the website was a page that documented SC50C errors. I found a listing for my Thick.

I now must hand correct my copy of the Hawaiiana Numismatist's "bible" (Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog 2nd Edition, by Medcalf & Russell) with this missing error (next to the 2MS-5). With this re-discovered find, the number of Hawaii Statehood Medal varieties has increased to 22.

12802.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl