• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The consolidation will continue in 2013 posted by RichH

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The consolidation will continue in 2013

Hi Friends,

One of the great things about coins is that there are infinite ways to put together a collection and no right or wrong way. Getting your collection the way you want it is like chasing the holy grail and can never really be achieved as there is always another coin or upgrade to be had. Over my almost 50 yrs of collecting, I note that I have continually tried to upgrade and consolidate my holdings. In 2008 I began a significant period of selling parts of the collection that I no longer had interest in with the ultimate goal of achieving a completed high quality 2 cent piece set. After almost 4 years to the month, the Somerville 2cent piece collection was completed with a #10 Registry ranking. All coins are at the targeted grade of MS65BR except the 1872 (63 Brown). This set now sits as a complementary set to my completed Somerville Set Indian Cents collection. The 2 cent set is but 10 coins and the sell off of almost 300 coins raw and certified coins subsidized about 70% of the cost. Was this the right move? It depends on the individual's goals. I always remember that coincidentally when I 1st started selling I had a conversation with another, older collector at the 2008 Coinfest show, he stated he "never has never sells anything, just accumulates". Ultimately this strategy works for him and that is goodness. Now in 2013 I will probably next sell my Modern Unc $5 Gold pieces to further add to my newly started Half Dime Type and 3 cent silver sets, or maybe start a Indian Quarter Eagle set to maintain a portion of the collection in gold. Ultimately I continue to pursue a philosohpy of "not more coins, better coins!". Thanks for reading, and good luck to all in achieving their 2013 collecting goals !!! RichH

See more journals by RichH