• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Pilgrim

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm guessing that this might not be worthy due to the lack of responses. I was looking for one already graded, but this one looked really cool. I was thinking that it might be polished. The seller is asking for just over $200 and is saying it's an uncleaned example. I'll continue to shop around. If there are any commemorative collectors that would like to chime in, please do so. Thanks for your time.

Edit: Looking around I saw one of Bills. It had some luster. This one seems to just appear shiny (I'm learning). Would you agree that it's been dipped & polished?

I'd love to help, but am so new, my suggestion would be a SWAG. I think the coin looks great. I have a hard time seeing polishing or cleaning on coins in photographs. I'm waiting for my grading books to arrive so I can further educate myself.

It doesn't appear polished. The Commems are very tricky, and I would not recommend them for a beginner. Each one has different characteristics, you have to grade each one differently, and they are challenging even for advanced collectors. The luster on this one appears shiny, but it appears natural. Just based on those photos, I might wager a guess of 64. $200 seems like a strong price for a raw example, but there is very little price difference between and AU-50 and an MS-64.

In short, I would hold off on buying commems until you are a bit more familiar with detecting surface problems and grading. I would only buy NGC or PCGS coins for a while, until you can confidently grade for yourself.

It doesn't appear polished. The Commems are very tricky, and I would not recommend them for a beginner. Each one has different characteristics, you have to grade each one differently, and they are challenging even for advanced collectors. The luster on this one appears shiny, but it appears natural. Just based on those photos, I might wager a guess of 64. $200 seems like a strong price for a raw example, but there is very little price difference between and AU-50 and an MS-64.

In short, I would hold off on buying commems until you are a bit more familiar with detecting surface problems and grading. I would only buy NGC or PCGS coins for a while, until you can confidently grade for yourself.

That sounds like a wise decision. Guess it was just love at first sight :)

Dipped maybe, but I don't think polished at all. My first thought at looking at it was 66. I see only minor marks on the coin, the worst on the rim, though maybe I'm overlooking something here.