• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USB coin magnifiers

30 posts in this topic

this is something that I came across while searching for magnifiers...have anyone used one of those instead of photoshop? Some of those "LOOK" good but it's hard to tell...as they say "LOOKS" can be deceiving....

One good point is that photos can be submitted without using photoshop....and save some money at the same time....

I have a Dinocam Lite. I paid about $120.00 on eBay for it. It came with a flexible-arm stand and the software CD. It works really really well with its zoom that goes up to 200X. I use mine for taking photos of coins and for checking my coins for errors, varieties and sometimes alterations.

I have a coin on ebay right now that I took photos of with it. Feel free to check out the photos to see the quality and detail. Some of the photos were taken at 110X.

ebay listing

Dave

Beautiful coin...is this what is termed "toning?" Beautiful!! Great magnification too. I only have a 10x...tiny little thing and it doesnt do anything with detecting doubling and other things. However, did you have to send it to photoshop? How did you download it to ebay? Did you first download it to your computer, then copy and paste? I really need to know this....thank you... and thank you more for responding to my post...:)

A USB microscope or camera captures an image. Photoshop is an image manipulation software program. The two are not the same.

Why not just an iPhone and jewelers loupe X15 :P

1938ds111.jpg

Because I already have a stereomicroscope!

Chris (shrug)

lol...touche. Not too bad for a phone though

<---- No frills beginner for now

Why not just an iPhone and jewelers loupe X15 :P

1938ds111.jpg

Because I already have a stereomicroscope!

Chris (shrug)

Not too bad for a phone though

Not bad at all! What year is it? Mine's a 36.

Chris

It's a 1938 D/S Buffalo Nickel MS66

Mine is raw, but I really should put it in a "pen" (slab) because he is causing my 35 Buff nothing but headaches.

Chris

133410.jpg.97f2f619e933914daaa0f4fc2c2b5939.jpg

Beautiful coin...is this what is termed "toning?" Beautiful!! Great magnification too. I only have a 10x...tiny little thing and it doesnt do anything with detecting doubling and other things. However, did you have to send it to photoshop? How did you download it to ebay? Did you first download it to your computer, then copy and paste? I really need to know this....thank you... and thank you more for responding to my post...:)

Thank you. It has some light toning around the rims. 10x works well for most applications. I find the dinocam to work very very good with RPMs, VAMs, and counterfeits.

I didn't use photoshop at all. The software provides everything I need. The cam hooks into my computer via USB connection. I open the program on my PC, and once I am ready, I click the photo button. I then drag the photo file onto the "desktop" and then into a specific folder. When I am ready to post the ebay listing, the photos can be uploaded the same way as any other photo taken with a camera and an SD card.

Trust me, it is alot easier than you think :) .

Dave

I dont think an iphone is a money-saving purhase because there is a monthly charge for service. However, the photo you submitted is amazing.

A digital camera is a one time charge...however, you gave me something to think about..

Thank you,

Yes, that is they way I thought it worked...I call it downloading, copying, and pasting. Not any need for photoshop...It is a lot cheaper and easier than a digital camera and iphone...also you are able to do the same here on this website.

Thank you,

Had the iPhone and the loupe was a few $. Just using what I have available for now. It was mostly as a joke, but took a pretty god pic of an error.

Chris, watch your buffalo's leg and face..looks like they might fall off. Better slab it ;) Cool nickel.

I checked and rechecked USB magnifiers and they are all too expensive for me right now. So I have narrowed my option to a digital camera. However, I stil would like to know if I will be able to get a good magnification to post so all the details of the coin can be seen. It appears I am going to need photoshop which I have tried to avoid but the USB magnifiers are just too expensive and I am very careful about purchasing used products over the internet...I sure would love to have a USB magnifiers but they are just too expensive.

what type of magnifier did you use to post this Buffalo 5 cent?

First, you don't have to buy Photoshop. There is a software program that is called Photoscape which is free and should serve all of your coin photography needs. You can download it from the internet.

When shopping for a camera, make sure that it has a macro or supermacro function.

That photo was taken with a stereomicroscope that has a gooseneck camera attachment.

Chris

133502.jpg.4aff90acc4b32618dc5aeb493be1e81a.jpg

You klnow our eyes can play trick on us if we look at an object long enough....I look at the magnication of coins...and that is what I look for in my coins even though I dont have that much magnification...the doubling might be there because I dont see it as well as someone with a stronger magnification, I doubt myself. I only have 10X.....I "expect" it to look like the magnified coin that is posted. Some time I think I have a rare coin but because it doesnt look like the magnification coin, I put it back in the bag...sigh....

Hard to pick up those details...with a 10x

moneyhoney,

I have to say, that while there may be a number of collectors who like to find coins with minor doubling, I think that the number of collectors who will pay a premium for a coin with doubling that they have to use more than 10x magnification to see is pretty small.

Unless you're doing this sort of hunting for your own interest, I would strongly encourage you to make sure that you have somewhere to sell these types of coins, should you find any, before you spend a lot of time or money looking for them.

That is out of the question...right now, I cant afford that....so with photoscape...I can use a digital camera ...and the service is free? Too good to be true

But, it is true!

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Chris

I'll have to check it out. I like Pixlr.com (free online-No download)