• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you line up to personally mint your own 2013 coin ?

9 posts in this topic

Saw this ATS...

Who here would line up and wait for the chance to mint your own coin at one of the US Mint's locations ?

Call it a "Personal First Strike ?"

You get a certificate showing that your coin was one of the first of a limited amount first off of special presses... Makes for an interesting provenance and slab label.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/collectors-delight-in-first-coins-20130101-2c4gv.html

But all your coins are "used"

If you were invited to the Ford plant (or Toyota or whatever) and were told that you could have your choice of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd of a new model car right off the assembly line, which would you choose?

Chris

I wouldn't want one of the first, having worked in a supplier to those companies, it seems the defects come from the newer stuff, after they build a while the kinks get worked out

I would if I could do it on a screw press. That way I would feel like I actually minted the coin. Pushing a button on modern piece of heavy machinery just wouldn't do it for me.

Surprising... I would have loved to have been one of the people that got one of the first 1921 Peace $ off the newest and freshest dies.... Imagine the strike ! lol

I would never stand in line for an iPhone or Call of Duty but I think I would be willing to do so for a coin - especially if we ever went back to the silver dollar sized dollar coins...

If you were invited to the Ford plant (or Toyota or whatever) and were told that you could have your choice of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd of a new model car right off the assembly line, which would you choose?

Considering the first model years tend to have the most defects, no thanks.

Surprising... I would have loved to have been one of the people that got one of the first 1921 Peace $ off the newest and freshest dies.... Imagine the strike !

Before or after they finished adjusting the press? And even after the press is adjusted it is still possible to have poor strikes from underweight planchets or poorly annealed ones that are harder than they should be.