• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Percentages

5 posts in this topic

Has anybody wondered just what % of coins are being graded by age, I'll break it into a few categories:

1. Modern 1965 to date, I used 65 because of the change to clad in silver coins

2. 1909-1964

3. 1800-1908

4.?-1799

Just curious because I was wondering just how much early stuff can truly be out there in slabbable condition

Just curious because I was wondering just how much early stuff can truly be out there in slabbable condition

I'm having trouble interpreting your question, but so far as the "? - 1799" group goes, the numbers relative to the mintages is very low. The rule of thumb for early copper, and probably early silver is that 1% of the original mintage has survived. For some issues, like 1806, large 6, stems, half cent the survival rate is higher, believe or not, in Mint State because there was a significant hoard of these that a pair of Philadelphia coin dealers, the Chapmen brothers, had in the early 1900s. But if there are no hoards the survival rates are very low. THEN from that 1% you need to subtract the coins that can't be graded because of damage of whatever sort.

The survival rate for very early gold coins seems to be a little high, perhaps because they were valuable from the beginning, and people tended to save them, and then hand them down as heirlooms. Even with that you looking at a 5% or less (usually less) survival rate. The gold coins from the 1820s through the 1834 Capped Bust types are much rarer because large numbers of those pieces were exported to Europe and melted.

I was wondering as a whole of the coins being graded, what percentage falls into those categories. For example, 1,000,000 coins graded last year, how many were from each category

Also consider that there continue to be numismatists and collectors who do not want their coins put in plastic slabs, or to pay to be told what they already understand.