• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1812 CB HALF

15 posts in this topic

Recent eBay purchase.....another boardie told me it's cleaned and I'm in agreement. The coin is not as colorful as my pics, but I'm mostly interested in a technical grade to see how far off I am. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

CBHALF1812.jpg

CBHALF1812r.jpg

In terms of wear, the coin looks XF. But the cleaning largely negates the value that might otherwise be associated with such a grade. In other words, don't discount the negative effects of the cleaning.

Thanks Mark......I probably could have spent a little more and gotten a certified one.....but it's beautiful to look at. I was torn between calling it a VF35 or XF40....but I'm so new at this I wanted a second opinion, to see how far off I was. GOD BLESS...

In terms of wear, the coin looks XF. But the cleaning largely negates the value that might otherwise be associated with such a grade. In other words, don't discount the negative effects of the cleaning.

Mark,

Given that judging from photos is always never precise, tell me in the interest of education, exactly what you see in the photos that leads you to the conclusion that this coin has been cleaned.

I have seen many Bust Half Dollars that are similar to this one in graded TPG slabs. Simply, I want to know what I am missing. I don't see any hairlines, I do see variations in coloration. If it's not too much to ask please describe the process you went through to determine that this coin was cleaned.

Carl

Mark,

Given that judging from photos is always never precise, tell me in the interest of education, exactly what you see in the photos that leads you to the conclusion that this coin has been cleaned.

I have seen many Bust Half Dollars that are similar to this one in graded TPG slabs. Simply, I want to know what I am missing. I don't see any hairlines, I do see variations in coloration. If it's not too much to ask please describe the process you went through to determine that this coin was cleaned.

Carl

Carl, considering the degree of wear, the surfaces (particularly the reverse) look unnaturally glossy to me. It might be due to the imaging, but the imaging is all I have to go by. Also, many cleaned coins don't necessarily display obvious hairlines as a result.

On my monitor I see hints of blue/pink/purple. Is that due to the cleaning?

.....that's probably due to the cheapest digital camera that money can buy lol GOD BLESS....

Mark,

Carl

As Mark mentioned, the surfaces appear a bit off. I also noticed the color - that pale, silverish grey combined with a light orangey color around the edges implies a dip or cleaning to me.

And just because its in a TPG slab doesn't mean it hasn't been cleaned. It only means that it is market acceptable. I have seen a large number of VF - EF Bust coins that have quite obviously been dipped or treated in slabs. Remember, dipping is often considered market acceptable (although, not acceptable to me). TPG's will draw the lines at hairlines or polishing. The resolution and clarity of the OP's pictures are not sufficient to determine if it has hairlines or not, but I can say with confidence that it has been cleaned. Is it market acceptable? Hard to say based on those pictures.