• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928 Peace Dollar

11 posts in this topic

IMO this is the best forum I've come across for new coin collectors. Reading past posts regarding all the nuances to grading coins has been invaluable to me. What would you grade coin?

I'm still too embarassed to put my guess down, but I am getting closer to the consensus. This one seems to have a nice cartwheel effect when I twist it in the light.

Thanks a bunch.

** new pictures added

133373.jpg.69dbd0955b5ce4e45f85d6a3bca077e9.jpg

133374.jpg.822b6ad50d4bdb22aa6f13958f0e5dea.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The lighting makes it impossible to get a good look at the coin, but my grade guess is approximately AU53-55. I can't tell whether it has been cleaned.

That's a rather interesting set of photos there. Just looking at the obverse I would say it is definitely cleaned/polished. Then you look at the reverse and it looks completely normal. I'd like to see more pictures of it, more in focus.

At this point I'd call it possibly cleaned and AU.

The latest pictures don't look like the same coin.

At any rate I'd grade the "second coin" as an AU-55. The techical grade is high, but the eye appeal is not good IMO because of the tarnish. I know that many people don't like dipping, but this coin might be improved with an EXPERT dip. Don't do it yourself unless you know what you are doing.